Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Inflatable Tender (Rubber Duck Inflatables)

Hello;

I am starting to look at tenders for my boat and being Canadian I came across Rubber Duck Inflatables, a Canadian company. I have no experience and doing a search for 'Rubber Duck' certainly brings up a few posts but nothing to do with Inflatable Tenders. The model I am looking at, RDD 230 with an aluminum bottom and a 4HP motor would be perfect for me in terms of weight and size. I would like any feedback I could get on these boats, they seem to be a lot less than some of the other models recommended around here.

Thanks for any info;

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
rubber dinghy

In my opinion I'd buy a name brand as most knockoffs are polypropalene and the name brands are hypalon. The difference being Hypalon isn't as effected by sun wear which makes the fabric porous. Also name brands have removable valves if they leak. I have a knockoff Baltik and I've dumped two quarts of a liquid rubber sealant that makes an inner seal when the fabric starts to leak. It cost $60.00 Canadian and lasts a year maybe. Also, the valve on that chamber started to leak and I can't remove it. So short of filling it every time I use it it' ready for the dump. Check it out thoroughly before buying an unknown brand. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Many of the "name brand" inflatables are PVC. Nothing wrong with a PVC boat, it just won't stand up to a lot of sun like a hypalon boat, but it will be less expensive. I am sure the Rubber Duck boats are imported from Asia, probably China. Quality could be fine, but who knows. Hopefully some actual owners will chime in here.
Old 09-21-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
I assumed that they were built in Canada, never occurred to me that they might be imported. I was under the impression that I was supporting a Canadian company, not a Canadian Importer.

I am going to email them, I want to find out if these are Made in Canada, Assembled in Canada or just imported to Canada. If they are imported or assembled then there is no reason not to keep looking.

Robert
Old 08-31-2010

gsagert is on a distinguished road
Just purchased RDS230

I just purchased a new RDS230 for about $650 CDN. I bought it because the bottom on my Zodiac RIB was trashed while spending the night on some rocks after it got away, and I needed a replacement while the Zodiac was repaired.

These boats are definitely made in China and imported by a Canadian company, however it's the highest quality Chinese boat I've seen. It's a bit heavier than a comparable Zodiac, but the PVC also seems thicker and more resilient. The oarlocks are simpler than the Zodiac, but they also have a more solid feel because the oarlock isn't adjustable and therefore doesn't slide around on the oar. The only thing I've found that I don't like on the Rubber Duck is the air filler valves, which require a turn-and-lock attachment on the pump.

But in all I think it's a great boat, particularly for the price. My Zodiac cost four times more, but it's definitely not four times the boat.
Old 08-31-2010

anemoneii is on a distinguished road
I would not buy anything smaller than a 270, I have a Mercury 270 and it's just barely big enough
Old 08-31-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I bought one earlier this season. You can find my ongoing review here:

Product Review: Rubber Duck Inflatable Dinghy
Old 08-31-2010

skyellab is on a distinguished road
I own a rubber duck and use it in the San Juans and Vancouver Island. It is very nice for the price and would recommend it to anyone who needs a tender for their sailboat. If you have a power boat with a lifting mechanism i would buy something else. Very happy with what I have!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.