Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2002

capedoryus is on a distinguished road
old diesel fuel

I am new to this board so please excuse me if this has been covered in prior posts. The boat has been in storage for three years and has a diesel engine. I think I know this answer but the part of me that has escaped diaster more than once when deserved wants to try and start the engine with the three year old fuel. Has anyone ever started and ran a engine with fuel this old. When I drain the fuel can someone give a an idea of the best way to drain it. I will be changing the filters ect. Thanks for your help.
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2002

jklewissf is on a distinguished road
old diesel fuel

After three years there is a good chance that there is more than fuel living in your tank now. This is especially true if the tank was not completely full when you put the boat in storage. The constant expansion and contraction of the air in the tank (due to temperature changes) brings a fresh batch of moisture laden air into the tank like clockwork. Much of that moisture ends up as water in your tank.

In addition to getting the fuel out of the tank you should probably try to clean the tank up a little, too.

How to do this depends on the design of the tank. If you are lucky enough to have an inspection plate I suggest working though it. I had to use the fuel gauge hole on my NorSea 27.

I used a drill powered pump attached to a piece of pvc pipe that was long enough to reach the corners of the tank. I pumped the fuel into a plastic soda bottle (big one, obviously) so that I could see what was coming out. I would then empty the soda bottle into a jerry can. I removed about 10 gallons this way and then let the fuel in the jerry can sit for a few hours and decanted the clean part back into the tank and did the whole process again.

Actually what I did was reverse my pump and shoot the decanted fuel back in to try and stir up any crud in the bottom.

After the second flushing I did not see any more "stuff" coming out in the fuel and pronounced it clean.

A local marina had a tank for the proper disposal of the dirty fuel.

I would probably also flush the lines up to the injection pump and change the filter on the engine in addition to the secondary filter.

there are also commercial fuel scrubbing services that can do a much more through job but when I checked out the pricing they only seem like they would be economical if you had a few thousand dollars in fuel in the tanks and you were not willing to throw the dirty fuel away.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.