Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2009

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
rock climbing harness as a sailing harness

Hello all

I will be installing jacklines on my boat this fall and wonder what people think about using a rock climbing harness as a sailing harness? The main difference between the two being the sailing harness is a chest/over the shoulders style of harness while the rock climbing harness is awaist stlye of harness. I ask becuase I already own a climbing harness but not a sailing harness.

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
This is a very bad idea. The reason for the attachment point at the chest on a sailing harness is so that you will remain upright if you go over the side. With a low attachment point like on a climbing harness, you can spin around and end up upside down in the water. There is not much air to breathe when you are upside down in the water.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 09-21-2009
Flotsam with attitude

Naughtylus is on a distinguished road
If you mean is the climbing harness suitable for getting you up the mast, then I would say no problem.
I regularly use my rock climbing harness for going up the mast, and I have no problems whatever with it. I have found it excellent and secure for this purpose.

I agree with Allanbc that it is NOT suitable as a replacement for a safety harness, to be attached to your safety lines, for exactly the same reason he states.
Old 09-21-2009
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
/\/\ +1, not a suitable replacement. Would also probably get pretty annoying to move around the deck efficiently in a rock climbing harness.
Old 09-22-2009

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies, I suspected as much so far as falling over boat head first.
So my next question is...
Currently I have on board the traditional vest style life jackets, any thoughts on the integrated inflatable pfd/harness vs. a separate harness and inflatable style life jacket?

Thanks again for the responses.
John
Old 09-22-2009
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I KNOW others will disagree, but I personally really like the integrated harness and inflatable PFD. In the short time before I purchased mine I had a seperate harness and standard PFD, both which came with the boat. I found it annoying to have to take of the PFD to but on the harness, then put the PFD back on as conditions are deteriorating. I know myself, and figured if I already have the harness on as a part of the PFD, I am much more likely to pick up the tether and clip in when needed. If I need to go forward for a minute and things are marginal, I would be more likely to go without the harness then to take the time to take off the PFD, put on the harness, then put on the PFD again.

I know many people will argue that wearing both is redundant and unnecessary, and it very well may be, but I like the added security myself. If for some reason I am hanging off the side by the harness and need to un-clip to get back on board or something, I like knowing that I will have the PFD as well if it is needed. Paranoid may be, but since they are integrated it is no big deal.

However, I currently sail in cool climates where wearing the PFD all the time is no big deal. I do still have the separate harness and could see using it alone on hot days, especially if the weather is good, but I am harnessed in since I am the only one on deck... we will see when that day comes
Old 09-22-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I have an integral harness on my PFD and really like it. Not the best for bouy racing, D rings get caught on cleats, but I've been otherwise happy with it.
Old 09-22-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Nix on the rock climbing harness, but keep the wire gate biners!

Standard climbing biners can't handle the salt and will quickly seize; I trashed quite a few retired climbing biners this way, mostly on utility/unimportant uses.

However, the wire gate biners do quite well, are as strong as the SS biners, are much cheaper, and are much less likely to put a hole in your gel-coat.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.