Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Lewmar D1 clutch problem

Just bought a boat with 5 Lewmar D1 rope clutches. Triples on starboard work great. Doubles on port have a problem. They won't lock rope. When handle is open you can manually move internal mechanism and lock. Clutch releases if you pull line. What am I missing here? anybody else have this problem? Makes me long for the days with my Easylock midis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
You should be able to pull in on the line even when the clutches are closed. I assume this is not the issue you are describing -- but just in case.

The only other thing I remember about these clutches is that they came in several different models with each model accommodating a fairly narrow line diameter/size range. Could it be that the line size is incorrect (too small) for the clutch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-21-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
The clutches are for 10-12MM. The line is 3/8ths. The inside mechanism that slides doesn't seem to catch like the ones on the starboard side. You can manually push slide forward until it catches but it won't hold if you pull the line after it is locked. Strange!
Old 09-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
The clutches are for 10-12MM. The line is 3/8ths. The inside mechanism that slides doesn't seem to catch like the ones on the starboard side. You can manually push slide forward until it catches but it won't hold if you pull the line after it is locked. Strange!
That 3/8" line (9.5mm) may be a bit small for the 10-12mm clutch, but it sounds like you are describing a mechanical problem with the clutch anyway.

Have you tried contacting Lewmar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-21-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I have 6 D2s which are supposed to be a step up from the D1s and mine do not hold well, even with properly sized line i.e. 12 mm line in a 10-12 mm clutch.

Even Plain old XLs does not hold well and high tech lines are worse. My clutches are only a couple of years old, no wear on the domnioes.

They just do not seem to hold. We leave the main and jib halyards on self tailers and if we really need another heavily loaded line to hold we must cleat it after the winches.

Next time I will try Spinlock.

Gary
Old 10-11-2009

szego is on a distinguished road
Gary - what kind of line are you using in the D2's? I'm considering getting Lewmar's for 12mm line also (standard double-braid poly) and am interested to hear anyone else's experience with them, especially compared to the Spinlock XTS/XCS.

Paul.
Old 10-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have Lewmars aboard my boat, and chose more for the lines-led-aft project I did last year. My reason for choosing them is they have the best combination of low line wear, decent line grip and price. They have regularly rated well in Practical Sailor tests...

My guess is that Sandusky's line is that he is missing a spring in the domino line clutch mechanism, by his description of the clutch action.

I'd point out that some of the Spinlocks have trouble releasing if the line is under a high load.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2011

amschristian is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to amschristian Send a message via MSN to amschristian Send a message via Yahoo to amschristian Send a message via Skype™ to amschristian
I'm having the exact same problem with my D1 clutches. The problem really got nothing to do with the line Sanduskysailor is using. I asked the same question in another forum and several people recommended to the clutches off dismantle them and clean them very thoroughly. Then oil them and try again if the mechanism is working as expected again. I have yet to try it out. At the moment when we sail I just push the clam sledge forward by hand and dont pull on the rope anymore afterwards because as mentioned earlier....that will make the sledge release again.

Would love to hear how others have fixed this problem. Or if someone did contact Lewmar and got a a response from them.
Old 06-20-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
I agree with sailngdog. check thge springs. They might be missing or blocked.
Old 06-21-2011

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
At some point a year or two ago, Lewmar had problems with their clutches.
Talk to Lewmar, you may get a new clutch or a repair kit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.