Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-22-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
West 410 filler & Pettit Protect compatibility

Can anyone tell me if I must apply a thin coat of un-thickened West epoxy over 410 thickened epoxy that was sanded to fair a hull, below the waterline before I apply Pettit protect 4700/4701?

Iíve spoke to West and they recommend testing a small area to see it the two bond.
I figure someone here has used the two products together.
So, did you sand/ fair the 410 filler then apply your barrier coat, or did you roll on a thin layer of West, then the barrier coat?
Pettit Marine Paints - Browse Catalog
WEST SYSTEM | Fillers - 410 MicrolightTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the 410 is pretty soft because it's designed for sanding ease after its cured with the resin mixed in. I would still roll a few coats of resin on it after. Not many paints bond well with any epoxy. and many would require you to sand the final epoxy sealer or paint so the new paint will bond to it. The Petitit is also epoxy and I would still sand the hull for it bond. It's allot of work. we did my boat over a year ago with filler for fairing the keel, dings and blisters. Then sanded the whole thing again! THEN after wiping down with solvent, we rolled on 4-5 coats of 2000-E barrier coat. We didn't sand the barrier coat but applied bottom paint right after, some of the bottom paint peeled during the winter but it was not a big deal because the barrier coat is still hard and intact.
hope this helps! I don't envy you!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
the 410 is pretty soft because it's designed for sanding ease after its cured with the resin mixed in. I would still roll a few coats of resin on it after. Not many paints bond well with any epoxy. and many would require you to sand the final epoxy sealer or paint so the new paint will bond to it. The Petitit is also epoxy and I would still sand the hull for it bond. It's allot of work. we did my boat over a year ago with filler for fairing the keel, dings and blisters. Then sanded the whole thing again! THEN after wiping down with solvent, we rolled on 4-5 coats of 2000-E barrier coat. We didn't sand the barrier coat but applied bottom paint right after, some of the bottom paint peeled during the winter but it was not a big deal because the barrier coat is still hard and intact.
hope this helps! I don't envy you!
So after you filled and sanded(faired) do you solvent was and go right to the 2000-e?
Or do you roll on more epoxy then scuff that then roll the 2000-e?

I've spentMany hours with a long board above the waterline. I've got a nice tan now!

Old 09-22-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
2000 E is epoxy, we only used west for fairing and filling. I've allot of experiance with West systems (used to build traditional and cedar strip canoes) I was reluctant but at least 6 people at my YC have used 2000E with success as I did too.
I was looking at your site.. WOW! I really, really, really, don't envy you now!

my current "project"!
Old 09-23-2009

georgefmys is on a distinguished road
Should be no problem, you are over-coating one epoxy with another. ''Neat'' West System is a lot trickier to work with anyway, so I'd go straight to barrier coat -just make sure surface is dry-cause 410 is porous-try for low humidity day ,after morning dew is gone.