Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Crap Update: Snake Failure

A recent thread discussed ideas for keeping birds off. Until recently, I used (successfully) a plastic snake that came with the boat. Alas, the snake has lost his charm. Last two times aboard there was a mess. Did the birds wise up? Are there tougher birds in town? Who can say. I'll strind a line above the spreaders, and perhaps go back to my old solution. I used to run a broomstick aloft on the flag halyard, balanced so it was horizontal. This tempts the bids as ane easy perch, but tips them off when they land. It worked on my old yawl. I now see a couple of other boats in the mooring feild using it.
By the way, there's a guy in Glen Cove that devised a system to shock the birds when they land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

How have you been?

I have found that the only thing that keeps the birds off are bird spikes. I bought and installed plastic spikes on the spreaders and mast head and the birds have left me alone ever since. Last year, in September, the spikes on one of the spreaders fell off. The birds got me good after that.

The boat I race on has fishing lines strung from the mast to the spreader. It works, but seems to require lots of adjusting, fixing, re-stringing, etc.

Let me know if you want / need help sending someone up the mast(s) to put lines or spikes up.

Take care,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You could always get a bigger meaner looking snake.
Brian
Old 09-24-2009

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
You could always have some real snakes living on your boat.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 09-24-2009

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
We don't have a huge problem with birds, but once in a while I would be left with some unwanted presents. I noticed that when I moved some of my lines off the mast to keep them from making noise I never had any bird droppings. I attached my main halyard to a forward starboard lifeline stanchion and my topinglift to a forward port stanchion. I guess this made it tough enough for the birds to get to my spreaders and foredeck that they went elsewhere.
Old 09-24-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
The problem seems to be worse some years that others. This is a bad year. Spikes work, although I haven't had a problem with birds landing on spreaders. They'd land on the crane at the mast head, bending the Windex. I put spikes there. This year they've been perching on the boom, so I've run fishing line from the mast to the backstay so it's about 6" off the boom. That works.

Then they started landing in the cockpit itself, which they've never done before (like I said - a bad year). With lifelines all around, I thought they wouldn't do that. Now I string several lines around the cockpit to discourage them. That worked, but is a PITA to remove and restring every time.

Then they landed on the Raydome, which is mounted on the backstay, so they're cr*pping on the helm seat. This is a good location for spikes if I can find a way to adhere them to the top. I rigged some temporarily with cable ties running all around the dome, but they won't withstand a blow. I also ran some long cable ties around the dome and put some short ties around the long ones, sticking up to act as spikes. Does anyone have ideas about how to mount them more permanently on the top of the dome?

TIA
Old 09-25-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Don't they have a python problem in Florida? Can they be taught to eat cormorants? Might discourage trespassers too. HMMM....
Barry, I'm doing great. Enjoying the boat, had a couple of fantastic daysails this month. You?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.