Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2009

seapony2 is on a distinguished road
issues with Panda genset

Hello Mr. Douglas,

My name is Dick Taylor

I could sure use your guidance.

I am on my fourth Catalina sailboat and have enjoyed them all.
I have an issue with this one and would appreciate your sending me in the right direction for assistance.

I bought Catalina 400 #309 in Annapolis in July 2007 from the original owner.
The engine had 149.4 hours and the Panda 4200 had 26.7 hours Due to our Lake Texoma being flooded I wasn't able to bring the boat to Texas and commission her until early September of 2007.

In June this year the Generator failed. It has 112 hrs.
There is no one on our lake certified on these generators.
I called Panda and after talking to the technical dept. starting chasing fuel problems. After a series of tracing fuel lines, changing filters, changing fuel pump, etc; it turns out to be the governor has backed out.

I have a very experienced Catalina person working with me " Greg Rentfro".
We had talked back and forth with the tech. dept at Panda all day and did not seam to be getting anywhere. I called for the sales dept. and talked to a gentleman named Jeff to see if there were any exchange units available or if there was anything he could do. He said there were no exchange units but that he could probably sell me a new unit for $8000.00.
Greg, then spoke to a gentleman at Farymann and was told that there had been a few instances but rare that this has happened. It requires an engine breakdown to repair.

I know that the boat is out of warranty but I would surely think 112 hours on a generator is barely broken in.

I would hope that Panda might assist but have no idea who to talk to.

BY the way, I had a Catalina 22 # 12469 new and raced spinnaker div. a few years.
The Catalina 34 #13 from the original owner.
A very good fiend of mine still has her.
Then I cruised on a Hinckley 42 for a few years and sold her.
Next was a Catalina 36 #1957 from original owner And now the 400. She is a very nice boat.

Best regards,

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Panda Generator Feedback

Hi All,

I would appreciate any comments from those of you that own or have owned a Panda Diesel Generator.

Was it reliable? Did you have to deal with service? How did service treat you? Did you feel that they supported their product? Would you buy one again?

Thanks.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-25-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
There were a few FP generators that had this problem [ I had one], Panda was very accommodating in arraigning a replacement within the warranty period for a new 4200. At this point he really needs to work with Panda and I would go to the head of Service/warranty. But my bet is this unit is 5+ yrs old cause the one I had that failed was installed in 2003/4 ish. I don't have who I worked with handy but it was a few yrs ago in 2006.

contact info is here Fischer Panda Generators: Marine Generators, Diesel Generators, Commercial Generators and Military Generators Manufacturer

Having the serial # is key for any discussion.
Old 09-25-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I didn't understood what Dick was looking for, he just reported his experience and didn't askany specific question/request to this board. How can we be of help sir ?
Old 09-25-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Wow, the mods jumped on my post for stating the TRUTH? Is Fischer Panda an advertiser here or something?

Old 09-26-2009
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
when i bought my boat it had a fp generator in it. It had been constant trouble for the former owners. The FP repair people in town told me they loved the FP as it kept their service department constantly occupied. I replaced it
Old 09-26-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
I've heard of past problems, but I have a FP 4200 Plus built in 2006 that has run like a top since installed. At this point I'd buy another.
Old 09-26-2009

seapony2 is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the comments.
what I am looking for is suggestions and past experiences.
This unit was obviously built durring a time that they had some problems.
I am sure most got fixed under warranty. Mine had not been used much until I bought the boat and now this issue with the govenor has come to light at 112 hours. I would like to know if others have been successful getting FP to participate in the repairs and if so to whom did they talk to .

Seapony2
Old 09-26-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I had a 4200 with no problems on the last boat (it had been used quite a bit before I bought it as it was a charter boat). The current genset is a 5000 and it works quite well, the only issue that I have with it is that the maximum output is less than the rated output - I've been told that I should clean the injector but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I ordered a spares kit from them on yesterday morning and received it in the mail today.

Old 09-26-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
This may be of interesting reading for you.
Fischer Panda: The Final Chapter

Never Forgotten