Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-26-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Slowly but surly

Here is an update... and as of so far the current progress on my refit project.

A before picture of my Perkins 4-154..The only real reason it came out was to facilitate all the other things needing done to satisfy the insurance co. so the yard wanted it and the gen set out of the boat..

I took advantage of that and went through the head and also sand blasted it to bear metal..painted with a rust encapsulator just in case..and then with high temp engine enamel...a couple pictures as it sits in the boat right now...I wanted to paint the beds with white epoxy but I got hung up at work the week they decided to re instill the engine so I will now have to worm my way in there to get it done...all hoses you see will be 100% replaced with new...as is the sound barrier and wiring.

I watched another Summer come and go with out so much as getting the hull wet but its getting closer.
Attached Thumbnails
Slowly but surly-000_3736.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3912.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3925.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3928.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_0005.jpg  

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-26-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
WOW still - that looks beautiful. Nice work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-26-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Geez Scott!

How are you going to tell it's a boat motor without the rust on it? Looks great. So tell me more about that black paint. Is it a fancy primer? Also, what did you use to get the motor out of the boat and on to the truck? A-frame? Your boom? Just wondering for the day I have to do it.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 09-27-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Smack.

LOL Ray...

After a discussion in a thread a while back and the differing opinions as to what was the best or better then others I decided to go my own way and use Eastwood's products as I have been very happy with them in the past. The paint I used is this

Black Rust Encapsulator Kit

I have spray equipment so I wanted something thinabal and it being Lacquer based worked out perfectly as well as their enamel based 650 degree rated engine paint....Being an auto paint supplier you will not find marine engine colors through them but I'm not that meticulous for something like this...especially since I was doing a complete repaint and not a touch up.

As far as pulling and resetting we used the yard crane...being a center cockpit they made a special "C" spreader that lowered down into the companionway but extended back beneath it ...I actually removed the boom completely off the mast to facilitate this and also so as not to get it dinged up as it was just repainted last year.

Here is another picture with the new tranny installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Slowly but surly-000_0008.jpg  

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-27-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2009
Handsome devil

I also reworked my heat exchanger as they wanted 3K for a new one... yes I did find one... but at that price they can keep it..so we cut and welded on mine and I resurfaced it on my edge sander in my shop..it turned out almost good as new... as did a several cast iron parts that were corroded and leaking..they both have perfectly flat and true sealing surfaces now.
Attached Thumbnails
Slowly but surly-000_3908.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3906.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3918.jpg   Slowly but surly-000_3919.jpg  

Old 09-27-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Scott,

Nice work!! There's just something about a nice clean engine room....

I hope you and the family will be out on the water again soon.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-27-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Good job, Scott.

I'm in the same place, but we'll see if I go new engine or rebuild as I'm still sourcing parts.