Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-28-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I bought a main from Cruising Direct (now NorthSailsDirect) about 8 years ago. It fit perfectly from day one and still looks great. They require you to make lots of measurements (the same ones a loft would do), not just assume a standard sail will fit your boat. I would buy from them again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks SF and JimsCal... good information. Like JR I find on-line (esp FX's) pricing attractive - roughly 1/2 of a Quantum "deal" locally... but haven't had the nerve to risk SF's experience.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-28-2009

AirbusDriver is on a distinguished road
As for 'refurbushing' your other sails I just got an email from SailCare about their annual 15% off sale. October -December. I have not used them but have seen their work at the boat shows. Looks like an inexpensive option.
Old 09-28-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
Schattauer in Seattle is another great local loft. They are not cheep, but provide great service and have been in the same location for 2 generations.
Old 09-28-2009

WhatTheFoley is on a distinguished road
I'm in Seattle. I just bought 3 new sails. The Main I got from the local North loft. I cashed in on their 25% off recycle deal (which sadly I think is over now...). The other two headsails I ordered for spring delivery from the local Ullman dealer (loft is in San Diego) using their 30% off Spring Delivery sale.

I just received the North mainsail (about 5 weeks for delivery). They were great at the start. They came out and measured the boat. I also order a StrongTrack system so they messured for that as well. Then I didn't hear back from them for 5 weeks. After 6 phone calls (no returned calls) and another week and a half I finally got a hold of them and was told it "Just showed up this morning". 3 more phone calls and I was told that the track that was shipped was the wrong size. 2 more phone calls to set up a time to have them come out and setup the track and sail. Overall I'm happy with the sail, workmanship and customer service. I'm not very happy with the communication (or lack of).

So far I've been having good luck with the Ullman sales rep and loft. Their prices are very competitive, and the sales rep has been easy to deal with. The rep wrote up the quote, answered a ton of questions and was happy to show me another clients boat that had a set of the sails I was looking for. We'll see how the workmanship and customer service stacks up over time but so far so good.
Old 09-28-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I've worked locally with Jack at North, a 110 norlam and G2. Jeff at Ullman, got two sails last spring also on there 30% off order now, get in March/April. a 140 CAL, a laminate for the same price as a dacron, with less stretch etc, and a 130 drifter. Also have a fiberpath 155 too that I got last Oct. Main is a UK tape drive 2 full top and 2 partial. The Anacortes yard measured that one. Two boats near me also had UK sails made recently.

One local with a C30 had a FX155 genoa made, and had Schattauer put on numbers etc. He seems happy with it.

It really depends upon what type of sail, what purpose etc, as to which loft to get sails at. Haase used to work at Shattauer, both sell excellent dacron cruise sails, that will take you thru a hurricane. Talked with carol re puget sound lighter wt laminate race type sails, she said go elsewhere! North actually!

Ullmans CAL sails, is a laminate base panel sail. SO far really nice for daysailing/cruising etc. WAY better than my old original dacron. One person with a 155 roller furling I know with one, says it rolls way tighter than his 140 dacron did, and sails better too. BUT< the dacron may have been a bit blown out like my original 140 from 85 that came with the boat.

TO a degree, you will get what you pay for!

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 09-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2009

Skipaway is on a distinguished road
Banks Sails, Portland Oregon

Since the OP is near to local, Iíll mention Banks/Waagmeester Sails in Portland, Oregon. Waagmeester Canvas Products, Inc. - Home Page. They have an excellent reputation around here, for non-racers at least. My sails were made by them (main & genny); I have no idea how old they are, but probably much more than 8 years. I had the UV cover for the 150 genoa re-stitched this summer ($90); turnaround was 5 days.

While there I asked about pricing for a 110% jib. Banksí quote was $15% less than FX Sails online; but I donít know how comparable the specifics might be.

I= 36.5; J=11.75
Charlie Lincoln ē Cathlamet, WA ē Islander 28 #108
Old 09-28-2009

MichaelNW is on a distinguished road
Thank you! And a question about roller main.

The boat is a Mercator Offshore 30 built in 1970.

The jib, genoa and drifter are OK but need to be repaired (small tear), restitched and cleaned (which I'll do).

The cloth of the main is just plain old.

The boat is a cruising boat and if I race it is as crew, so I'm looking for cruising sails.

I always try to do business locally. Anymore experience close to Olympia?

One more question - the boat has roller reefing on the boom - the boom rotates with a crank (spruce spars) and the sail rolls around. Does anyone have experience with this set-up. Should I get rid off it?
Mercator Offshore 30
[
Old 09-28-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I'd get rid of it and convert to 2 line slab reefing, either from the mast or led back to the cockpit if you wish. Easy to use and better setting sails. All the old cruising books where the boat had roller reefing like you have mention the towels they had to stuff in as the sail was rolled to get even a reasonably good setting sail. Here's a link describing reefing the main and what works best.
reffing
Brian
Old 09-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Agree with Brian that you should convert to "jiffy reefing"... hardly anyone uses the old style roller reefing anymore. It's difficult to get good shape and precludes using a proper vang without special hardware.

A standard slab or jiffy reef setup won't break the bank - esp if you order the new main with proper reef points installed.

btw- the Mercator looks like a comfy boat.. reminiscent of a fiberglass version of the L36.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)