SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Troubleshooting LPG Control Panel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/58417-troubleshooting-lpg-control-panel.html)

RainDog 09-27-2009 01:36 PM

Troubleshooting LPG Control Panel

I am trying to troubleshoot a propane problem. I am testing the LPG Control Panel and got myself confused. The panel has four wires on the back: IN+,IN-,OUT+,OUT-

With the switch off:

IN-,OUT- have continuity
IN+,OUT+ no continuity
IN+,IN- about 12 volt
OUT+,OUT- 0 volts

With the switch on:

IN-,OUT- have continuity
IN+,OUT+ have continuity

So far this is all as expected. But what I did not expect is with the switch on:

IN+,IN- 0 volts
OUT+,OUT- 0 volts

The only way this makes sense to me is if turning the switch on creates a circuit with less resistance than the meter. Is this possible? Am I missing something or using the meter wrong?

This is a cheap analog meter.

mitiempo 09-27-2009 02:16 PM

Good morning
I'm guessing that the solenoid is not opening. With the switch on out+,out- should be 12 volts to open the solenoid I believe and yours is showing 0 volts. I don't know if they are easily fixable or even openable to get at the electronics inside. Mine has 2 screws on the back but I've never opened it.
Brian

JohnRPollard 09-27-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 526764)
I am trying to troubleshoot a propane problem....

RainDog,

What are the symptoms?

RainDog 09-27-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 526775)
RainDog,

What are the symptoms?

Propane is not flowing to the stove. Also the light on the control panel does not turn on when the switch is in the on position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 526774)
Good morning
I'm guessing that the solenoid is not opening. With the switch on out+,out- should be 12 volts to open the solenoid I believe and yours is showing 0 volts. I don't know if they are easily fixable or even openable to get at the electronics inside. Mine has 2 screws on the back but I've never opened it.
Brian

What i do not get is how the voltage drops to 0 on the IN side. My understanding is that should always remain at 12v.

JohnRPollard 09-27-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 526776)
Propane is not flowing to the stove. Also the light on the control panel does not turn on when the switch is in the on position.

Not meaning to insult you, but we had a fellow on here recently who had forgotten about the other LPG switch on the DC master control panel.

I've never had to delve into the remote solenoid switch. But we've lost propane twice and in both cases traced it to a malfunctioning solenoid. However, the light on the remote switch always worked properly.

donradclife 09-27-2009 10:09 PM

The wires which are feeding the switch ('in' side) have a weak connection, and when you load them up by closing the switch the voltage drops to zero--the problem is not with the switch.

davewild 09-28-2009 09:36 AM

I would encourage you to consider getting a professional to look at it if your unsure about it. LPG and electricity can be a dangerous mix. Switches almost always arc to some degree as they make contact and I'm not sure that's what you want if you get a leak in the gas line.

mitiempo 09-28-2009 12:52 PM

Check the solenoid. Only 2 wires - if it opens when power is applied it's ok. If not replace it. If the solenoid is ok, replace the sniffer - after asking around I don't think they are designed to be repairable.
Brian