Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-02-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
In that situation, there's a big difference between 120 volts and 12 volts. For 120v I don't fool around and follow all the above advice.

For 12v, if I don't have a multimeter handy, I take the wire I think is positive and touch it briefly to something grounded with a quick swipe. I usually miss a few times, because I want it to be a very quick swipe. Anything more than a quick swipe can blow fuses. If there's a spark it's 12v (+12v on negatively grounded boats). If there's nothing around that I know is ground, I'll run my own wire to something I know is ground. If you have a multimeter, use it instead of this technique.

Then again, I have an Electrical Engineering background and am very familiar with these things. If you are unsure or not familiar with these things, get the multimeter. If you aren't absolutely sure what voltage you have, then no fooling around, use a multimeter. Actually, my lawyer just called me while I was typing this and told me to say to add one more sentence. Just get the multimeter.

Also, with 12v you still want to make sure you don't overload the circuit, heating up wires and making for a really bad day. Make sure you are connecting to a fuse. (If you pull all your fuses and flip all your breakers and the light stays on, address that problem first.) Look at the wattages of what you are connecting in total, and stay well below the current rating of the fuse/curcuit breaker. Current(Amps)=Watts/13.5v should work since 12v is really higher, especially when charging.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 10-02-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
If you want to make a 12 volt polarity checker for the cheap, you can use a light bulb and a diode, or LED, resister and diode. The current will flow
+ ----->------ to gnd, the stripe on the diode points to ground.
+--red-----light------[diode|]--------black-gnd
Good technique. For 12v you can also use a light bulb with long wires. Attach one of the wires to a known ground. If it lights up, then the other wire is not ground.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook