Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-30-2009

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Anyone Built a wooden cradle?

Well, I do not beleive I am doing this, but for the 3rd fall in a row I am going to buy a project boat. This time it is an Ericsson 23 from 1970. Not too bad a deal since I am paying what the outboard is worthand getting th erest of the boat included.Th eboat has all equipment, is in the water and sailing, mainly cosmetic work to be done. Bulkheads are fine, keel bolts look good, no sft spots on the deck...

The problem is that the boat has neither a cradle or trailer, so I am going to have to build my own. I have been looking online, but cannot find any plans to build a wooden cradle. Has anyone undertaken this project? Since I am in Canada, the boat has to come out in the winter, and boat stands are not an option. Our marina facilities will allow me to use the crane to get the boat out of the water, but I can't store the boat at the crane, and the crane is permanent, it does not move. So, I need either a cradle or a trailer. (The club has a lift for moving boats on cradles around the yard.)

Any insight welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its strange because down here they don't allow cradles and make you use jack stands

There are fold up steel cradles JOWI Sailboat Cradles - All Steel which will show you how there built

My J24 use to have a wood cradle and by the time you build one out of wood thats strong enough to move the boat i think steel will be cheaper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2009

I have gone through a lot of the marinas around montreal over the last few years in my search for old boats, and I cannot remember seeing a single boat on Jackstands. Boats on wooden blocks - Check! Boats on cinder blocks - Check! Boats supported by ropes from trees on either side - Check!

WOnder why Cradles aren't allowed down where you are? Strange..

Anyway, I can get 4x4 and 6x6 pieces of wood inexpensively and figured with enough of those and some strong bolts, I should be able to put together something. Anyone have any palns that do not involve jackstands?
Old 09-30-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
I second Tom Mays suggestion for a metal one. If you do sell it again in La Belle Province, then a good cradle will be a bonus for the sale.

I just had a custom cradle built for an Irwin Citation 34.

We all use cradles here as well.

Rik
Old 09-30-2009

Well, I paid $800 for the boat. I can sell the outboard for that much and put the proceeds towards a steel cradle. Now to find a steel cradle for an Ericson 23. Since I haven't seen any of those boats around here (only 140 were made) I am going to have to find the specs and see what the measurements i require.

At the end of the day, at least I will have a project boat to work on. Yahoo! 3rd one in 3 years. Now,my GF does not want to sell the Shark 24 I just rebuilt, so Looks like the ericson will be a rebuild and sell. Hopefully I get to sail her few times next summer before I sell her. (Sell the boat,not the girlfriend)
Old 09-30-2009

Hmm, just found some weird metal boat supports I may be able to use building a cradle. Pix is too big to insert, but it is in my old Grampian blog.
Parts for Cradle | Reviving a Grampian 23
Old 09-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
The key issue i see is the need to move it with the boat ON IT

JOWI is selling a finished steel cradle for your boat for a 1000 dollars so i think if you start hitting scrapyards you can DIY it for far less money

They do the jackstands thing down here so they can pack the boats in tighter AND when there not being used they nest in side each other clearing out space they need in the summer for car parking

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The key issue i see is the need to move it with the boat ON IT
Good point. It may be fine when the boat is just sitting there, but any lateral stress when moving the boat and cradle may cause a catastrophic failure. I guess I will start combing the Marinas for a used Cradle.Awww, too bad,I have to hang around boat yards again
Old 09-30-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
I built mine out of wood with 6'x6' and it's super solid. My boat weighs 17,000 lbs. The plan was in Good Old Boat. If you're interested, message me with your e-mail and I'll scan the page and send it to you.

Ray
Old 10-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I stored my current and previous boat on a Jowi Model 1 for over 20 years (now use stands). They are sturdy and very adjustable for different boats. If you build a wood cradle before the boat comes out of the water, you are going to have to build in similar adjustability. Keep in mind the weight is carried where the keel sits on the board running down the centerline, not by the pads.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.