Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-30-2009

Jos40806 is on a distinguished road
diesel engine Perkings model 4236,max hours

Hi guys,
I am considering buying a 44 foot sailing yacht, of about 1983. a few of those boats are equiped with the perking 4236, 80HP engine.they all have between 3500 and 5000 hours. If well maintained, until howmany hours this type is reliable?somebody has experience with these engines?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
10,000 easy if well maintained...if not its all over the board.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-30-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
my perkins 4.154 has 3300 hrs and is running just fine. Turner Automotive Diesel - ENTER for parts. A few parts are getting hard to find off the shelf. Contact them and ask their opinion.
Old 09-30-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
10,000 easy if well maintained...if not its all over the board.
Yup I agree, have a 1985 4.236 w/ approx 4000 hours runs like a top. clean fuel, oil and service the injectors/injector pump per schedule life is good.
Old 10-01-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
FWIW...death for most Perkins come from over heating them...it will usually take the head out.

Cooling issues seem the bane for salt water kept engines for obvious reasons..and owners tend not to spend allot of preventive maintenance on this area of the boat...after all who wants to pull down a heat exchanger or mixing elbow every year and checking raw water flow?...but it should be done...way more important then changing the oil IMHO..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-01-2009

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
We have a Perkins 4108

We have a Perkins 42108 and I was told the engine itís self will run for almost ever. It is all the parts attached to it that fail. Ours is 30 years old and has lived in a dark damp place. We recently had and injector clamp fail, it just broke sitting there in the boat not even running. When I started the motor smoke came billowing out and it sounded like it through a rod. Any way I fixed it with the help of a dock mate. I did notice the fuel line to the injectors was a bronze or brass tubing brazed. Now when is that going to fail? It sure is hard to think of replacing a perfectly good running engine. We are going cruising in a few years so there is the rub. I would leave it alone and still might but for leaving the country and when we need it we may REALLY need it. No vessel assist to call.
The PO set up a fresh water rinse for the cooling. It draws water from the fresh water tank instead of the sea water, flip a valve. OK I have not tried it yet but it seems like a good idea. We have had the boat six months.
Old 10-06-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
One of the features I like about the Perkins is ease of rebuilding. The cylinders are sleeved, assuming reasonable elbow room, you will not need to remove the engine for a rebuild.

I've no idea how many hours it has on it, original meter is gone. It starts instantly and ticks along nicely, using no oil.
Old 10-06-2009
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuritt View Post
One of the features I like about the Perkins is ease of rebuilding. The cylinders are sleeved, assuming reasonable elbow room, you will not need to remove the engine for a rebuild.
I've no idea how many hours it has on it, original meter is gone. It starts instantly and ticks along nicely, using no oil.
Man!.... you must have an "Oil Can Henery's" work pit under that Perkins.. ..Im envious.

Old 10-07-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
its not so much under as it is all around and over. The boat is A Banjer 37, we have an online website, if you are interested. It's a pilothouse motorsailer, Scottish N Sea tradition. The area is big enough to include a 6-236, so my little 4 cylinder has lots of room.
Old 10-08-2009
Handsome devil

Well I was just figuring you must.....as ya gotta pull the pan to remove rod caps to push the pistons out to pull the liners and be able to drop the crank for a rebuild...we do in-frames in trucks and even dozers but even then a pit is a big help...I'm never done learning though so I would like to hear your method.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.