Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Better hose clamps?

We just had a Mayday near home, it was a whale watching boat with 28 people on board and it was taking on water faster than the bilge pumps could handle. Everything turned out OK, no injuries and they saved the boat with additional pumps. It was a hose clamp failure on the shaft bellows. The owner/captain said that he had changed out almost all of the hose clamps to the new non-perforated ABA approved style but the two that failed (one broke, the other was either in the wrong place or not tight enough to stop the water, not sure which) had been overlooked for replacement. I too bought a bunch of the ABA approved type intending to use only those when we did our refit, but I have quit using them because of the frequency of them stripping out as I tighten them. I have not checked if there are recommended torque settings for them, but if I tighten them like I do the perforated ones they almost invariably strip. I have talked to a couple of guys at boat yards and they say they have had the same experience. Anyone else have the same problem with the ABA approved clamps? Mine are all in a separate box now as spares.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
jrd - so the ones that broke were the perf ones? Do you happen to know if it was the band (corroded) or the screw/housing that failed? I just redid our head plumbing and used the perf ones. When I pulled off the old ones the screw/housing on each was in really bad shape.

Holy crap - I just posed in G&M. Sorry fellas - I don't know what I was thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-01-2009
Courtney the Dancer

The one on the whale watching boat that broke was an old perforated type. My concern is that all of the "new improved" type (non perforated) seem to strip out at a much lower compression point than the perforated ones. Which means that if you don't tighten them down for fear of stripping them hoses are not as secure on thru hulls etc. I've tried at least two different brands with the same poor result.

Old 10-01-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
This summer I was able to tour a local Coast Guard station including the big rescue boats. What awesome machines! The engines were huge, and spotlessly clean (whatever they were I don't know). I did note however that all hose clamps on the two engines were the perforated type, and nothing special. it just looked like they were replaced frequently.

For what it is worth.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
Old 10-01-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I too bought a bunch of the ABA approved type intending to use only those when we did our refit, but I have quit using them because of the frequency of them stripping out as I tighten them. I have not checked if there are recommended torque settings for them, but if I tighten them like I do the perforated ones they almost invariably strip. I have talked to a couple of guys at boat yards and they say they have had the same experience. Anyone else have the same problem with the ABA approved clamps? Mine are all in a separate box now as spares.
Are they AWAB brand? I have been using AWAB (brand name) for about 8+ years and have never had even one strip out.

What brand of non-perf clamps are you using? Could it be a bad batch? The AWAB's are considerably more rugged than the Ideal clamps..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-01-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I like to use dual T-bolt hose clamps made from solid 316 marine grade stainless on every fitting. The two T-bolts are oriented on opposite sides from one another.

They should also never be overtigtened and replaced every 10 years to reduce chances of failure from chloride stress corrosion cracking, or crevice corrosion.

Stainless hose clamps are under tension, and will eventually fail from chloride stress corrosion cracking.
Old 10-01-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The t-bolt type clamps are great where they fit but they're a little more robust than most applications require. They also take up a lot of space and often hose tails are not long enough or there simply isn't space. I guess overkill never did any real harm but they're a bit heavy for me. I use these on large diameter pipes like exhausts and cockpit drains.

For hoses like water intakes for heads, galley and shower drians, engine piping and so on I use the perforated type simply because they don't strip easily. So they cut into the hose a little, doesn't bother me. I think it's easier to see a perf clamp that is likely to fail due to corrosion than a non-perf one that's about to strip.

Obviously they should be used in pairs, tightened with a spanner, not a screwdriver and should be regularly checked. I've had a few break over the years but they have never caused me any special problems being that they are in pairs.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-01-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
been using AWAB all stainless for many years with no failures to report. I have bought them from suppliers in quantity to keep the cost down. Well worth the added cost, IMHO. They need to be "sized" correctly and tightened correctly for maximum effect.

Auto "stainless" are junk, not worth the effort to use them.
Old 10-01-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I use one of these where I can.

T-Handle Torque Wrenches

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-01-2009
Courtney the Dancer

Maine- I have tried two brands, one was Ideal and not sure about the other. They were both 316 SS. I'll have to try and find the ones you mentioned, but I'm concerned that people are using these "approved" clamps and they may be potentially dangerous if they strip out as easily as it seems. I think the worst ones were bought at WM.