SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Spinnaker Sock (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/58556-spinnaker-sock.html)

ERICANDERSON 10-01-2009 04:28 PM

Spinnaker Sock

I'm considering an ATN spinnaker sock for my Asymetrical Spinnaker.

Any comments? Suggestions? This would be for a West Wight Potter P19.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Positives seem to be ease of use. Has anyone experience with a sock for a small boat like a Potter?

Thanks!

zz4gta 10-01-2009 04:43 PM

On a 19' boat? Spend the money on something else. Practice your douses, drive deeper downwind and try doing a windward douse, leeward douse, letterbox, foreward hatch, etc. I've floan a chute on my 25 footer w/ 2 people and some do it single handed. I've used 2 socks before on larger boats, and honestly, I don't think they're all that great.

Sabreman 10-01-2009 05:28 PM

When I raced and when we had our 28' we did not have a sock and I learned how to pack a chute quickly in a cramped cabin. I can count on one hand how many messed up hoists I had with the traditional method.

When we purchased Victoria (the boat, not the wife), it came with an asymmetrical chute and a sock. We like it because dousing the sail is much more controlled and safer with this much larger sail. Even the Volvo Open boats use a sock. With that said, I find that having a tack line on the asymmetrical sometimes leads to the sail being hoisted with the sheet under the tack. Which makes for interesting conversation in the cockpit. I understand that this is more a reflection of the characteristics of an asymmetrical chute and my foredeck setup. But having most of the sail in a sock makes it a little harder to see if there is a problem with the hoist.

Bottom line is that I agree with zz4gta. For a 19' boat, there are better uses for your money. Would I buy one again? Yes, but only for a large sail and only because it's safer and easier to douse. IMO, setting a spinnaker is easier without a sock.

Faster 10-01-2009 05:38 PM

Here's a third vote for spending your money on something else. That sail is too small to need a sock, and the relative weight of the apparatus would be too much for a rig that small.

Treat yourself to some free-running hardware, or a back up GPS....

ERICANDERSON 10-04-2009 06:59 AM

Thanks for the comments. Pretty much my thinking but my crew ....

TejasSailer 10-04-2009 07:58 AM

Some years ago Practical sailor did a review of asymmetrical spinnaker socks, and the ATN came in second to the North Sails. I have a North Sails and am pleased with it.

Bene505 10-04-2009 12:23 PM

We have a sock and I managed to fly the spinnaker while solo* a couple weekends ago. I put it up, enjoyed looking sailing with it, dowsed it. It's no problem at all if you have a sock and an autopilot.

50 foot boat, so the sock comes in handy. If you solo, you might consider it too, but I flew my spinnaker on my no-autopilot Victory 21 any time I wanted. Just run the lines ahead of time and launch it right out of the cockpit.

I'd think that on a 19 foot boat it's too much hardware for what you are doing. Easy-enough without a sock.

Spend the money on something that your lady friend will like, like dinner or lunch ashore at a restaurant that you sail to.

*ok, DavidPM was on the boat as a safety measure but he agree to not do anything unless I needed help.

Regards,
Brad