Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-02-2009

RSMacG is on a distinguished road
CT34 - Portlight Seals - Help!

A newbie to the forum and to my boat, so thanks in advance for your patience and help...

I just purchased a Ta Chiao CT34 and after our first significant rain I noticed many of the interior seals on the portlights were leaking. Not surprising, as they appear to be the original seals, and not something I was concerned about, as they appear to be simply o-rings that I assumed I could pick up at West Marine. However, when I brought one in to my local store, they looked at me as though I was showing them a dead squirrel and weren't particularly helpful.

The seals are roughly 10x6 inches when installed, so, roughly accounting for the corner radius, are about 30 inches in circumference. I'll try to get a picture tonight, but any ideas as to alternative suppliers would be most appreciated - I'm running out of towels!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2009

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
In the short term

Hey, you can order replacement seals from the manufacturer if you know who made the ports. Check around the internet and you may have some luck.

In the meantime go to home depot and buy small foam or rubber weather stripping. If you clean the metal off really well and make sure it is dry you should be able to get the weather stripping to seal the port up for the time being. Not the best solution but I have done it.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
is the groove for the seals about 3/16" ? if so you can ge really thin rubber tubing from an auto supply, and make your own. Or get that seal that is used on window screens. Possibly you could make your own with RTV sealant but it could be messy.
hope these ideas help and welcome to the forums!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.