Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Where do you get it?
We haven't used it as Gil suggests, but I believe you can pick up tea tree oil at many drug stores, like CVS or similar. Or you can order from Amazon.
Old 05-17-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Many drugstores, eBay, but most commonly at beautician/hair supply stores. It is used for fingernail fungul infections and frequently cures those. (Don't tell the FDA.) Concentrated & up close, it smells something like turpentine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Cheaper alternative to Airhead and Nature's head

I just learned about this company today.

The C-Head

Index

It's good to see the price of these things dropping somewhat.
The ad in Southwinds says they start at $399.00 so that makes them about half the price of the others.
I don't know anything about them except what I've read on their website but they look pretty nice and it's good to see some competition.

Old 10-09-2011

elgo is on a distinguished road
I like the idea and have been thinking of putting one in my Pearson 422. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I just learned about this company today.

The C-Head
Bought one a week ago ... have been studying it for several months ... looks like it will work very well for our situation and having some modifications made so that it will be installed on the Cal 28 ... but also be able to be transferred and used on the Ranger 23

Should have it delivered in about 2=3 weeks ... will do a write-up on installation and evaluation when it is complete ...
Old 10-10-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Hey, just saw this. That's a good find, Knothead! Looking forward to your report, Cal28.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-09-2011

ekin is on a distinguished road
Knothead,
The pictures you posted about your DIY composting toilet can't be seen now, is there a web page where I can see them? I am thinking of building a similar CT, they would be very useful.
Old 11-09-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekin View Post
Knothead,
The pictures you posted about your DIY composting toilet can't be seen now, is there a web page where I can see them? I am thinking of building a similar CT, they would be very useful.
I'll upload some of them again. I've took way too many pictures of the project so if you want to see more detail just let me know.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1061399...CompostingHead
Old 12-28-2011

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Wow that was a long read, I have been watching various forums for some time now regarding composting heads. Having ripped out the entire head holding and plumbing system from my boat a year ago, and having to deal with a nice infection in my knee resulting from the 36 y/o black water that came out of the hoses and covered everything, I am hesitant to put this stuff back in. I have yet to go down and measure my available space to see if one of these heads will fit but I am 90% sold on the idea. I spend most of my time on the boat and may end up as a full time liveaboard in the near future. I have found the marina bathroom to be fine, though when lazy I have used a soda bottle for number 1. The composting head, even when aboard 24/7, would not get used everyday for number 2. The collection bottle is easy to empty it seems and does not seem like it would be an issue. So, living aboard, I would use the marina bathroom, bathrooms at the college or where ever else I find myself most of the time. Then either in emergencies or when I was lazy and on board I would use the composting head. 80 use capacity for one man using it a few times a week....I would think this would compost just fine and when I did have to empty it, it would in fact be dirt. It seems some of the concern regarding liveaboards is the capacity and frequency of use. Do you sit in your boat all day everyday crapping throughout the day? I know I dont. I use the bathroom in my house at the most once a day. Often less. Cruisers would not have to worry about this at all as they could empty offshore whenever needed.

In addition, I would like to thank all the posters for taking the time to give me real time feedback on this item. This thing seems to be a winner and if it will fit, I may just get one. No way would it fit in the C22 but maybe in the C30.

The C-head does seem remarkably similar and for half the price. Though the capacity if far less and it seems to be less of a composting head and more of a initial composting storage unit- with the idea that you will dump it often into a proper compost heap.
Old 12-28-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Alan-
"when I did have to empty it, it would in fact be dirt."
Check what the EPA and others have to say about composting and composting toilets. In order for the contents to be dirt (sterile) you'd have to wait about two months between your last use of the toilet, and the time you emptied it.

Among the problems you can have with human feces is clostridium difficile (c. diff.) a very nasty bug that many of us carry in our colons without any problem. But when the balance of bugs in the colon gets disturbed (i.e. by anitibiotics in the hospital) this bug can become a killer, and in fact there's a drug-resistant form that has hospitals quite scared. C.diff. can form spores that survive outside the body and spread infection very nicely from casual contact, and no, even conventional bleach or alcohol won't kill them.

So, holding tank or bucket of nightsoil, either way it isn't sterile and it isn't "compost" until it has aged sufficiently. Without any new contributions. Just don't drop that bucket while you're on the launch.

OTOH there's the "incinolet", a combination toilet and incinerator. used on commercial fishing boats, it runs the contents into nice sterile ashes. Not sure I'd want to put my butt on something that can do that though. (G)