Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
That's pretty neat! The tanks a bit small, but with the availability of pump out boats it might be a good alternative.

Now I wonder if I can take the contents home and compost it ...
As long as you haven't used the chemicals, yes you could, but it would be a pretty disgusting proposition though.
If you think dealing with a mostly dry, sawdust covered plastic pail of virtually odorless waste is nasty, wait till you start dealing with anaerobically active liquid waste.

I would recommend that you stick with the pump out.

And yes, I know you were only poking fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Due to the LOW amount of flush water because it is a direct deposit device with the poop NOT traveling to a tank it is BIG at 9.5 gallons

We are pretty good about timing are deposits and while we did have it pumped twice in 2011 we cold have gotten by with once

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post

. And it won't be any more dangerous than all the diapers that end up there.
Good point.
The way I see it the volume is so low it shouldn't matter.
Old 01-08-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Due to the LOW amount of flush water because it is a direct deposit device with the poop NOT traveling to a tank it is BIG at 9.5 gallons

We are pretty good about timing are deposits and while we did have it pumped twice in 2011 we cold have gotten by with once
Tommays, I don't understand what you are saying there. Where does the poop go if not into the tank?

The manual says it uses an average of one quart per flush. If you add in the urine and the solids. The way I figure it, you will probably get around thirty uses before having to pump out. Depending on how many people, especially females are using it, that's pretty good.
I would certainly choose a system that had it's own self contained tank before I ever went back to a traditional set up. If it smells anything like a port-a-potty though, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Old 01-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

Interesting device. Probably a good choice for smaller boats who don't want to go the composting route. An EXCELLENT device when matched to a maceratior/overboard discharge for Canadian boats. Most canadian boats of any vintage are direct-overboard flush only, which in most areas is totally reasonable form an environmental point of view, but a unit like this would allow you to keep the stuff out of the water while travelling by the oyster farms of Desolation Sound, or in the crowded low-flow harbors and anchorages.

As long as it has some flush water it might smell less than a porta-pottie, but on the other hand, it'll be an anerobic tank and every time you make a deposit, I would expect smell unless you use chemical warfare.

As for the previous comments about there being no way to dispose of composing toilet waste, the answer is to put it in the trash. I like Knothead's comparison to diapers in the trash. There was also some hysteria about the dangers if someone's dog got into the trash, or the poor trash handler etc, and to those I would say that trash is rife with bacteria. That raw turkey you threw out 3 days ago is now crawling with salmonella and shigella. The cat litter is full of e-coli and even toxoplasmosis and yet sanitation workers and those who rifle through trash seem to do okay.... The Nature's head has a neat design feature whereby a yard-waste trash bag fits snugly over the lower part of the toilet. Turn it over and it all goes into the bag. No touching of poo required. Though I still wash my hands afterwards for good measure.

Medsailor

PS Knothead, I can't speak much to the question of development of immune systems as a child because there isn't enough good evidence one way or the other that infections "strengthen" the immune system. What I can tell you is that the immune system is largely developed before adolescence and doesn't change much as an adult. Many of us who go into healthcare fields suddenly find that we never get sick anymore and some (usually not the providers because we're supposed to know better) attribute it to "a stronger immune system" when really the evidence shows it's because we wash our hands obsessively.

For further reading related to your question, check out "The Hygiene Hypothesis." A mature, but unproven, hypothesis that allergic diseases specifically are caused by the lack of parasite exposure in the developed world. When reading about this topic or ANYTHING MEDICAL please PLEASE skip right over Wikipedia. ANY website is better than they are on medical topics.
MikeOReilly likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 01-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Tommays, I don't understand what you are saying there. Where does the poop go if not into the tank?

The manual says it uses an average of one quart per flush. If you add in the urine and the solids. The way I figure it, you will probably get around thirty uses before having to pump out. Depending on how many people, especially females are using it, that's pretty good.
I would certainly choose a system that had it's own self contained tank before I ever went back to a traditional set up. If it smells anything like a port-a-potty though, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

The poop goes into the tank and travels 12" BUT does NOT have to travel down a hose to a tank and use a bunch of water getting it there which cuts out most if not all the places systems get smells from

To be perfectly honest if you leave the freshwater OFF and people are just peeing you can turn on the water and rinse the bowl at the end of the day

If you leave it on it takes a TINY amount of water to flush pee and is for sure the lowest water use unit of its type

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-08-2012

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
The Bears two cents worth....
Would be very interested in poll, and hats off for a great article Genieskip! Exactly the kind of information needed for "an informed desision". The idea of getting rid of that 10 gal. holding tank and all the extra plumbing on my 24' boat is fantasicly beautiful. I don't care what the factory rep's say after a couple of years those poly tanks smell. And the idea of a dorade vent instead of a 1 1/2" hole in the hull is even better.
Run the poll, get more input, get more info, feedback. Faster,S..Dad, this is good, get on it.
Redthe Bear
Old 01-08-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
We were ready to jump to a composting toilet at this time last year. Saw the Airhead and Nature's Head at Strictly Sail Chicago and thought this was perfect. No qualms about yuck factor or any of the disposal issues which to me are moot if done responsibly. We decided to hold off until we had access to the boat in the spring to confirm it would fit with access to everything necessary. Glad we did as either of the units would have fit perfectly. Our problem was there was no good, visually or structurally acceptable way to route the exhaust hose given the construction of our boat.

So now I'm taking a hard look at the self contained gravity flow unit by Sealand (Dometic) pictured previously in this thread. I'm going to start a new thread for specific input on that unit/concept so as not to get this one way off track.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Last edited by Mobnets; 01-08-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobnets View Post
Our problem was there was no good, visually or structurally acceptable way to route the exhaust hose given the construction of our boat.
Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
What I plan to do is plumb the nature's head vent hose out of the side of the hull in an above the waterline through-hull. I've got one there that I'm not using anyway and I'd rather keep my solar vent free for circulating air through the shower and head.

Did you consider going through the hull above the waterline?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 01-08-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
MedSailor;
No I didn't. Interesting idea but how are you going to prevent water entering when heeled over to that side?
Mobnets