Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobnets View Post
MedSailor;
No I didn't. Interesting idea but how are you going to prevent water entering when heeled over to that side?
Mobnets
It's high enough to be above the waterline at all angles of heel. At least it better be.... it's right next to my bilge pump through hull and my diesel tank vent though hull. Looping the hose up wouldn't hurt either, even without a siphon break it will help.

Where is your current holding tank vent? Could you enlarge that hole and use it?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
No holding tank vent! Westwind is a 1973 boat we bought several years ago from the second owner. Amazed even the broker when I discovered on pre-purchase inspection that it had a manual marine head with direct overboard discharge and no holding tank. Had spent it's entire life on Lakes Michigan and Huron! Factored heavily in reducing the eventual purchase price I paid for the boat. I ripped out the marine head, plugged the trough hulls and bought a port-potti with the biggest waste reservoir available. We have a dedicated portable toilet emptying station at our marina which is great and odors have not been a problem for us if we use appropriate chemicals, but disconnecting, carrying off the boat and emptying that large reservoir when full is awkward and strenuous.

Thanks for the idea. Might be an option for me as well.
Mobnets
Old 01-08-2012

joelsanda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
Another question is resale value. I do not think there is any doubt that these lower the resale chances or value of the boat, by how much is not clear.
All things remaining the same, for two identical boats - one with a composting head and one 'traditional' I would pay a little more for the composting head. Very little to break and next to no maintenance.
Old 01-09-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, the manuals for these toilets specifically warn not to dump in food gardens due to potential bacterial contamination.

The research that you quoted outlines very specific conditions required to make the poo safe. It's not likely that many will meet these requirements.

It's amazing that you can just filter out the material that doesn't work for you.

It's sad that you have no regard for the larger community around you and feel the world is your toilet. It's the few bad apples like this that cast a bad light on all boaters. All it's going to take is for this to impact one person and a whole new public crusade against boaters, cruising and anchoring will ignite.

As a modern society we have achieved processed sewage systems so that waste does not have to be dumped in the public domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Are you obtuse or just a troll?
Let me quote from my previous post. Please actually read it this time, okay?

"Humanure may be deemed safe for humans to use on crops if handled in accordance with local health regulations, and composted properly. This means that thermophilic decomposition of the humanure must heat it sufficiently to destroy harmful pathogens, or enough time must have elapsed since fresh material was added that biological activity has killed any pathogens. To be safe for crops, a curing stage is often needed to allow a second mesophilic phase to reduce potential phytotoxins.

Humanure is different from night soil, which is raw human waste spread on crops. While aiding the return of nutrients in fecal matter to the soil, it can carry and spread a vast number of human pathogens. Humanure kills these pathogens both by the extreme heat of the composting and the extended amount of time (1 to 2 years) that it is allowed to decompose."

There is a lot of information on the subject. Why don't you actually check it out?
No offense, but you're information is a bunch of crap.
You're insisting that the most natural process in the world, one that happens all by itself and has forever, is a dangerous practice.
That's just silly.

Google a fellow named Joe Jenkins. He's the guy that came up with the term "Humanure". He also composted his family's waste for over thirty years while bringing up children. He used the compost in his vegetable gardens for all that time.

The Humanure Handbook - Center of the Humanure Universe

He also paid to have extensive testing on his compost and has the documentation to prove his claims.
Old 01-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Of course this is mostly true at home; would your wife encourage the practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
To be perfectly honest if you leave the freshwater OFF and people are just peeing you can turn on the water and rinse the bowl at the end of the day.
So I think it's not a comparison point, since it is always true.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A good read on sewage and epidemic: "The Ghost Map".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
As a modern society we have achieved processed sewage systems so that waste does not have to be dumped in the public domain.
Book Review: The Ghost Map - The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic, and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson - Blogcritics Books

How one sick child and some waste dumped in a cesspool ravaged London.

1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-09-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Quote: "Hmmm, the manuals for these toilets specifically warn not to dump in food gardens due to potential bacterial contamination.

The research that you quoted outlines very specific conditions required to make the poo safe. It's not likely that many will meet these requirements.

It's amazing that you can just filter out the material that doesn't work for you.

It's sad that you have no regard for the larger community around you and feel the world is your toilet. It's the few bad apples like this that cast a bad light on all boaters. All it's going to take is for this to impact one person and a whole new public crusade against boaters, cruising and anchoring will ignite.

As a modern society we have achieved processed sewage systems so that waste does not have to be dumped in the public domain. "

I'm trying to understand both sides of the argument here. Are we discussing the practicality of the composting head, legal issues or what to do with the waste when it comes time to dispose of it? It is very easy to directly attack someone's opinion, especially when there are facts that support both idea's. Lets try and stay objective here.

All points are valid depending on which point of view you are looking at it from. From what I have understood;

Does the airhead/natureshead make the waste safe to put in your childs sandbox? NO

Is composting bad for the environment? NO

Do some people dump raw waste into places where they should not? YES

Does everyone do this? NO

Are composting toliets better than traditional heads? OPINION

Are they more convenient- or less? OPINION

Due to modern public health standards, would putting a composting head in everyone's house be a good idea? MOST LIKELY NO

Could they work on a small scale within boats? I DONT KNOW- BUT MY OPINION IS YES. My reasoning is that when properly handled, the waste can be disposed of in a safe area that will have no impact on society. The same reasoning that prevents me from dumping porta potties in the parking lot.

Now, first let me say that personal freedom is of an extremely high value to me. I am adamantly against anyone imposing laws or rules on me because of what they perceive as being right. So though I do take offense to the idea that composting heads should be banned I will remain objective and try to understand your point of view. My opinion is that when properly handled, composting heads are no worse than any other type of head. Of course there will be people who abuse this equipment. Either from ignorance or simply not caring. We cannot control these people. They are the same type of people that throw their Mcdonalds bags out the car window at stoplights. My views on how to handle these people will not be discussed here.

So, HContent, what are the facts that cause you to stand against the theory of composting heads? Should there be better instructions included with the devices to explain how to properly handle the waste?

Someone elses post about three day old turkey in the trash makes a good point. No trash is safe to roll around in. So what are some suggestions?

I understand that a properly operating head does in fact work well. I have had them on 7 different boats. My only bad experience was with the 36 Y/O system on the recently purchased boat. And yes, the experience did turn me off a little. However, I am still not convinced that an airhead/natures head would be so horrible that my world would change because of it's use......
erps, MedSailor, Beersmith and 1 others like this.
Old 01-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
So I think it's not a comparison point, since it is always true.
Not the Same at all

I have spent plenty of time with standard marine heads and to empty the bowl you have to pump it

On the Sealand unit you push the foot pedal and it rotates open the bowl seal and urine runs right into the tank dirrectly below leaving a pretty dry bowl

When you remove your foot the bowl seal closes air tight
Mobnets likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-09-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Hmmm, the manuals for these toilets specifically warn not to dump in food gardens due to potential bacterial contamination.

Obtuse it is then.

Those special conditions are called composting. It's not difficult. Even if the temperatures don't get high enough to kill the pathogens, all that's required is letting it sit for a couple of years.

If you had read a little about the subject you would have known that.
Old 01-09-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Obtuse it is then.
That's being nice, I prefer IDIOT...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus