Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012

ewoden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I recommend that you sift out as much ash as possible before pulverizing the charcoal. Ash does not help composting at all.
Don't ask me how I discovered that.
Yep I usually do this to keep the extinquished coals for the next burn so keeping those coarse bits of charcoal for alternative purposes would be easily doable.

Without a vent have you encountered much in the way of dust as your system dries?
Old 01-13-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=ewoden;816406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

Ha ha the difficulty with electronic exchange or perhaps a quote betraying a desire to seem scholarly and incontrovertible. Obviously I can't tell without knowing the poster personally not base concludion on this exchange to this point so I'll assume the former and chalk it up to poor communication on my part :-)

To recap:I intitially responded to a point by another saying composting boat waste off the boat would take years. I pointed to a document referenced elsewhere that showed pathogenic performance at 30 to 80 C. I concluded a container in the sun would be compatable with such consitions (as an aside I know I can maintain said temps in the sun from solar heating design efforts). Again I was referring to a table showing performance at temps between 30 and 80 C. The poster quoted above chose to interpret said table as establishing limits from 50 to 120 days. That was incorrect and I pointed that out and indicated a worst case in the table of less that 120 days...again it is a table at 30 to 80 C. Politely I pointed this out I might add. Quote above is countered by an ad hominem attack alledging some bias on my part and adding in conditions outside the referenced table parameters and outside the intitial point of the post response.

I never said anything about a cold boat anywhere in the string and nowhere reference data for conditions below 30C and did not insintuate that referenced shoulddata apply to other conditions. Therefore I believe it inappropriate for one to assume my string of exchange had done so or that I misapplied or biased any facts in the discussion.

So having said my piece and defended my honor, I'll now lay down the pen and let the quoted poster conclude they have in some way put me in my place; chastised me appropriately for my obvious lack of intellectual rigor; and perhaps provide further opportunity for the development of a data set for me to test my hypothesis about the quoted poster's motivation. Peace.
Now that's more fun!

Weez just playin' with ya.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2012

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoden View Post
After a couple of days "hands on" with my prototype I do have one observation I believe worth noting. Stirring, agitating the container, etc. without an airstream vented outside would tend to generate fine particulate suspended in the atmosphere as things dry. The extent to which this dust might be contaminated with fecal associated pathogens is something I heretofore have not considered. This might be a point to consider when one thinks about where this apparatus is to be used, i.e a rolling pitching boat with limited ventillation below decks.
Actually dude, I meant literally "by hand" as in 'with' your hands. lol

The other point you brought up does bear further consideration though.
Old 01-13-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yep I usually do this to keep the extinquished coals for the next burn so keeping those coarse bits of charcoal for alternative purposes would be easily doable.

Without a vent have you encountered much in the way of dust as your system dries?
No. As I wrote in a previous post. It's important for the cover material to be slightly damp. So I don't really have any dust problems.
Also, I don't believe that there is any reason to agitate, stir or vent the toilet. All you have to do is cover whatever you deposit in it. It is necessary to have a tool, in my case it's a flat, perforated, stainless steel, scoop type of thing, to scoop up and distribute the cover material and with which to combat the "pyramid" effect. (use your imagination)
I empty my bucket once a week. It's usually about half full. The contents are primarily moist sawdust. There is virtually zero odor. Even when emptying it onto the top of the compost pile where it's covered and watered.
This is such a simple process, it makes me a little crazy hearing it so often described as being complicated and difficult. It does require a commitment of time but it only takes a little common sense and the ability to read.
I've been doing it for over two years using what is no more complicated than a bucket in a box. It's in the garage where my wife does her laundry and she has never once noticed a smell.

This book should be required reading for anyone considering composting their poop. It used to be free to download but not anymore. I bet it could be found in the library though.

http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/H2_all.pdf
Old 01-13-2012

[QUOTE=pdqaltair;816464]
Quote:

Now that's more fun!

Weez just playin' with ya.
Then we are all GTG. :-)

Now the girlfriend comes over tonight and I will proudly display my prototype. She's got a pretty open mind, putting up with me at this point. Heck this isn't the first experiment she's endured.

If she turns up nose? It's back to the tank. Life is just too sort to let the crapper dictate my love life.
Old 01-14-2012

Girlfriend upon inspection of the prototype "It's gonna smell" looks at me quizzically, turns and exits utility room.....Hmmm exterior vent for sure, I'm not giving up yet :-)
Old 01-14-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Seems like you've got the process and prioreties straight!

Quote:
Girlfriend upon inspection of the prototype "It's gonna smell" looks at me quizzically, turns and exits utility room.....Hmmm exterior vent for sure, I'm not giving up yet :-)
I've used this computer fan in the head and also in a compost/biofilter system on some pet cages. It should last ~ 2 years continuous duty in this humidity.
Sail Delmarva: "A Bathroom Fan": or "No Blog Could be Complete Without a Tale of Head Repairs"

Solar vents would certainly work, but $$$.... In my case, I already have enough panels. Screen the outlet for

Part of my interest in composting heads comes from my interest in biofilters for odors, some processing several thousand cfm of wastewater, refinery, or sanitary stink. I've built many. It is simple to build an animal cage, for example, where anything that misses litter boxes falls through and composts, and all of the cage air, along with the sanitary stink, is drawn through a 3- to 6-inch mulch bed, which eats the odor. I believe that is the effect we are actually seeing in some of these "composting heads." We are not really composting the waste, but we are cleaning the stick through biofiltration.

http://www.manure.umn.edu/assets/biofilters.pdf
PaulfromNWOnt likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've used this computer fan in the head and also in a compost/biofilter system on some pet cages. It should last ~ 2 years continuous duty in this humidity.
Sail Delmarva: "A Bathroom Fan": or "No Blog Could be Complete Without a Tale of Head Repairs"

Solar vents would certainly work, but $$$.... In my case, I already have enough panels. Screen the outlet for

Part of my interest in composting heads comes from my interest in biofilters for odors, some processing several thousand cfm of wastewater, refinery, or sanitary stink. I've built many. It is simple to build an animal cage, for example, where anything that misses litter boxes falls through and composts, and all of the cage air, along with the sanitary stink, is drawn through a 3- to 6-inch mulch bed, which eats the odor. I believe that is the effect we are actually seeing in some of these "composting heads." We are not really composting the waste, but we are cleaning the stick through biofiltration.

http://www.manure.umn.edu/assets/biofilters.pdf
Speaking of biofilters. I built a Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) waste water treatment plant for a 300 unit assisted living community in Maryland about 5 years ago. We have drum screen at the front end in a separate room which stinks unbelievably bad. Our rep in the are suggested pulling the air used for aeration of the bioreactor from the screen room, lowering it's pressure and pulling air in instead of allowing the smell out. The smelly air gets bubbled up through the bioreactor and at the top there is a very slight yeasty smell which we exhaust out of the building through a vent pipe.

After the plant had been running for a couple of months we hosted a luncheon for about 100 wastewater professionals right inside the operating plant, next to the waste tanks! One guy stood up and said in 30 years of working in the industry he had never eaten his lunch in a wastewater plant, let alone serve lunch to 100 people there! Everyone was really impressed with how well this worked. In every other plant I have been in the smell control systems simply don't work, or else cost tons of money to operate.

Gary H. Lucas
PaulfromNWOnt likes this.
Old 01-17-2012

Quote:

Solar vents would certainly work, but $$$.... In my case, I already have enough panels. Screen the outlet for ....
Yep I scored a small 40mm on a side, <0.07A fan from local Microcenter. She's a weeee tiny little thing, 5 cfm at 3200 rpm. Judging by the prototypes low, Ahem, signature I figure a few head box volume exchanges every 5 or ten minutes ought to t=do nicely. In my first vent attmpt I'll run an air flow through tubing the size of the existing holding tank vent on the boat as that will be my preferred method on board if it will maintain enough airflow out of the boat. Since this little fan draws so little, I'll atempt power first by a small solar charger. If that fails, then connection to house power via the old recirculating head pump circuit. If the little fan proves insufficient, then a bigger fan (i have several computer pullouts, as either solar ventillator or computer fan connected to the old pump-out fitting with a 1 1/2 npt elbow rigged to keep things dry.

Last edited by ewoden; 01-17-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2012

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Quote: "I've been doing it for over two years using what is no more complicated than a bucket in a box. It's in the garage where my wife does her laundry and she has never once noticed a smell."

You crap in your garage? Next to the laundry machine?.........

Sorry, could not let that go...