Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpickard View Post
I put an airhead in my boat last spring. Have had alot of problem with excessive moisture in the poop tank. I recently re-mounted the unit so it slopes forward, so the urine will flow better to the urine tank. When I vented the unit, I was uncertain if it would work properly and did not want to hole my deck above the head, so ran a vent line aft to a dorade in the lazarette, about 20 feet, up sloping. I'm wondering if water is condensing (sp) in that line and dripping back into the poop tank. I'm finding that with two people after about a week the unit needs emptying, disappointed so far with the system. Any ideas anyone?
Check out Pooh Powder, the most absorbent material I have ever seen. Sprinkle a bit on the top of a glass of water and the whole glass full turns to gell. A ten pound bag from the source should last years ,if you only use a sprinkle or two , only when needed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012

wise4 is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet report

This thread has convinced me.....

To keep my marine head and never... Ever consider a composting toilet...
Old 06-03-2012

fireboat52 is on a distinguished road

I 'm not sure it I am breaking any rules because I am the designer and builder of the C-Head, but I just wanted to address some of the issues that have been brought up regarding composting toilets for boats, in general.

As I have previously stated when discussing composting toilets, it is absolutely true that "composting" toilets sold on the boating market do not compost waste. If anything they "precompost" but that is of little importance because boaters don't compost their waste anyway. They discard it. A "composting" toilet for boats is more correctly called a "mouldering" toilet. People use composting toilets on boats for a couple of reasons. Odor control, ease of installation and maintenance, and freedom to spend extended time in sensitive areas with no pump-out service.

The observation was made that composters (if you will) dump solid waste in the water because it is easy. Well first, it is not easy and second, composted s*** floats so in fact, they don't usually throw it overboard without incriminating themselves or fouling their boot tops. Holding tank owners dump illegally, regularly and that is the worst kept secret in the world.

I do not believe that throwing bags of s*** in the dumpster at the marina is either a good idea or a sustainable one. The best system uses 5-gallon plastic buckets that you treat with a cup of chlorine bleach before sealing them up with a locking lid and discarding them. Biodegradable buckets are available. All composting toilet users should follow this practice. Incidentally, you can store a month and a half's waste for two people in a five gallon bucket using a composting toilet as compared to pumping out every week with a holding tank system and having the privilage of paying for it too.

Urine is easily deodorized with a shot of Campa-chem, easily disposed of and truthfully is not much of an issue. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-04-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

This thread is hilarious!

Some people will go to the greatest lengths to try to convince themselves they're correct.

It's not really fair to call these toilets composting as it gives a bad name to legitimate composters (very green).

Dumping your piss over the side and your crap over the side, in people's yards or a dumpster is completely not green - it's disgusting.

Hopefully legislation will be created to protect the public from this serious health threat. Why not just use a 5 gallon bucket? It's pretty much the same thing.

Thank goodness there are responsible and competent boaters that can maintain and properly use a holding tank and pumpout.
Old 06-03-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Oh, yeah this is a huge problem that requires legislation!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-04-2012

I don't make a claim that composting toilets on boats are "green" and I specifically debunk that claim. It is a way of storing waste that (1) allows the owner to store a large amount of waste onboard (over a months worth) and (2) in an odorless manner and (3) very inexpensively and conveniently and, at the same time, (4) have the convenience of disposing of it at their leisure instead of having to dump in an emergency because the holding tank is full and they have to go . . .now! It also contrary to what you may think, incentivises people to wait to dispose of their waste since there is no hurry and no need to break the law. That part if it is green. If you spend a month in the Keys or on the St Johns River, you will come to appreciate these abilities.

If you were really green, you would believe that owners with holding tanks should be made to keep a log of pumpouts and should have their Y valves taged with bands that can only be broken and rebanded at certified pump out stations by a licensed official (for a fee). That would be green. But be careful what you wish for. Local and state governments are looking for ways to raise money and there are a whole lot more holding tanks out there than there are composting toilets.

With respect to resale of boats with composting toilets, fully a third of the boats I have boarded, you can smell the head at the dinette table. Try reselling one of those. The only person who is likely to buy it at your price is someone who is going to replace the current system with a composting toilet. If you do have a "composting" toilet at the time of the sale, you can reinstall a conventional holding tank system if you need to to satisfy the new owner without having to tear out the old one or pay someone a healthy sum to do it for you.
misfits likes this.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-06-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: expanding the arguement
Old 06-04-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to flush the contents of the composting toilet down a conventional toilet?
Old 06-04-2012

No, first, peat moss and saw dust will swell when wet and clog the system. Second, it would be a difficult chore. BTW, if your composting toilet is portable, it is not legal to have both a portable and a discharge system on board. One or the other. The law is a little gray in that it says that the discharge system must be rendered inoperable if portable toilets are used. It doesn't specify how and that is probably up to the inspecting officer. A lock on the Y valve might suffice. I don't know how well known or enforced this rule is.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-05-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

So, fireboat, how does a compostable toilet stack up against...A plain urinal plus a plastic bucket and a bag of quicklime? As used in one-holers around the world? Still the same "bucket of stuff" to cap off and haul away when it is full, but AFAIK the quicklime is supposed to sterilize it and break it down pretty quickly.
Old 06-04-2012

Quick lime and a five gallon bucket is fine for a single bumboat guy but try to get a lady to sit over a rising pile of encrusted desolving poop. The best "bucket" method should be attractive on the outside and disguise what is going on on the inside by having no sewer smell and no visible growing pile of s*** under your butt. Quick lime is dusty and also a health hazard. (Google "Is quicklime dangerous?") If you get it in your eyes , it can blind you and there is really no other use for it onboard.

Mouldering (AKA composting) toilets that churn the mixture, as opposed to the "bucket and bury" method, allows you to make a little medium (sawdust or peat moss or coir) go a long way and as you know, storage space on a boat is at a premium.

If you want to get a jump on the sterilization process instead of waiting to add chlorox when you seal the disposable bucket, you can add laundry detergent to the mixture at the beginning when you first charge the collection container with fresh peat moss. This will for all intents and purposes sterilize the medium but it will not be suitable for compost.

I find that this is overkill and the chlorine works best. You never have to smell it because you seal the bucket immediately. Chlorox is usually carried on most boats for one use or another, and it is cheap. You could also use a bottle of hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorox if you wish. You can carry the full disposable bucket on the boat sealed until you find an appropriate means of disposing of it.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.