Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: composting toilet report

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"There is no way that having a compost pile in my back yard that I use to compost my personal waste is a health threat... But in fact, it's illegal."

Quote:
So, you're fairly certain that your compost pile will generate sufficient heat to sterilize the waste. And in the interim, no critters will get in, no rain run-off will get out, no incidental pathogens are going to be transported out of the pile, or survive the process. Like, on your pitchfork while you're turning it.
You know, it wasn't so long ago that big cities were decimated by fecal contamination of water supplies, among other health problems. The current bans on sanitray waste have all pretty much evolved from "Well what can we do to make sure THAT never happens again?"

And they're designed to work for everyone. If you're good enough to work without them--they make no allowance for that. Laws get applied to everyone, especially when their purpose is to prevent plagues and epidemics.

As the Roman soldier allegedly said to Christ while carrying the cross "Son, I don't care who you are. NO PERMIT NO PARADE."
I am fairly certain that the pile will generate sufficient heat to kill dangerous pathogens. And what the heat doesn't kill, time will.

Critters, other than the desired one's, aren't really attracted to composting humanure. I only add food scraps when I empty my bucket. Which is once every two weeks. However, my compost pile is in a wire enclosure anyway.

My compost pile is covered by a roof so leachate isn't an issue.

The compost never gets turned. New material is added to a depression in the top center of the pile and then covered with clean straw, sawdust, leaf mulch or grass clippings. Or a combination of the above.
I do use a pitch fork and no, I'm not worried about transferring disease from my pile to another part of my yard where the dog and cats and chickens roam.
For one thing, I'm not diseased and I wash my hands. Whether I'm playing with compost, petting my animals or touching a door knob in a public place, I figure that I'm picking up germs. (or leaving them) So I wash my hands. Just like I do after I use my CMT or any other toilet in the world.

You have been conditioned to fear the natural. Don't be so paranoid.

Lastly, I don't need no stinking permit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I'm almost certainly going to put one of these in before shoving off again and take the Thetford MSD out. The problem is the small footprint area I have to work with. None of the commercially made units would come even close to fitting. Will probably build in a box and use one of the separating seats I've seen advertized. Venting should be fairly straightforward using a solar vent unit but designing some kind of trap door arrangement and a "stirrer" will require some thought. The more research I do on these, the better I like the idea.
Old 06-08-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Smurphy, don't be so sure that you don't have the room for a composting toilet. The footprint of my Nature's Head is actually less overall than the old manual WC marine head I replaced. The difference is going to be the height of the composting toilet. As most marine toilets sit on a platform, this tends to make for a very tall installation when you put in your composting toilet. One of my upcoming projects is to cut and modify my platform so the composting toilet sits lower. After almost 2 years with my composting toilet, I can honestly say it works as advertised, doesn't smell AT ALL, is super easy to maintain and use and greatly simplifies the boat by getting rid of the plumbing/seacocks/pump/hose/holding tank etc. of a wet system. I'll never go back to a marine water head!
fireboat52 likes this.
Old 06-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Thank You, copacabana for that information. Maybe I will make a full sized mock-up of the outline of the Nature's Head unit and take it to the boat to see if it can be fit in somehow. It looks like a very nice unit and I think females would possibly consider actually using it. It seems to be the smallest of all the ones I've looked at. The problem is with the door leading into the head which swings in up against it and latches there. Maybe I can switch the swing of the door so it swings into the cabin but will have to think about the implications of that.

These composters are all VERY high and will require some sort of hinging foot rest. They really are the proverbial "throne."

That said, I've looked at a couple of old 12v. computer fans I have here and an old joint compound drill-stirrer which could easily be adapted to be used to construct a composter using a standard sr bucket. It would be VERY nice to get rid of hoses and seacocks.
Old 06-08-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

The height of composting toilets are the same height as handi-cap toilets that are in public rest rooms. When compared to a standard marine head, they are roughly 5" taller.
Old 06-08-2012

Smurphy, FWIW, we have no foot support and no one has trouble using the head. I would look into a way to cut the platform to lower the unit before building foot supports. The nice thing about the Nature's Head is the quality of the finishing- something you might not get with a home-built unit. They look like real toilets. My wife is the first one to sing its praise- so the wife-approval factor shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-08-2012

PTsailing is on a distinguished road
Re: finding a toilet to fit a small head

C-Head makes 3 different models, you'd probably find one that fits in your head. I like the C-Head for several reasons but mostly because you can get extra liquid bottles for next to nothing since he uses the plastic jugs water comes in, the other two units sell extra liquid containers for around $40 and you need to have an extra container. And with the C-Head system you don't need an extra solids container, he provides a storage system for the waste. You need to buy an extra solids container from the other two for a hefty $225.00. So be sure to add those two products to your base price.

BTW a lot of folks have mentioned odor from the urine containers, I use bleach to clean out my containers ( two gallon plastic jugs that once contained kitty litter) and I have no problem with smell. If I leave my boat for any length of time ( a week or so)and I'm in too much of a hurry to empty the tank, then I pour a slug of bleach down and there's no smell. we live on board and have been using a composting toilet for two years. We built our own, but for our sailboat which has a much smaller head, we bought a C-Head marine toilet.
Old 06-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Question for you "composters":
Do you through the toilet paper into the toilet? What if someone uses a lot of toilet paper, seems that could fill the unit up quickly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

Some people throw paper in the composting toilet. We don't. We have a small garbage can with a lid beside the toilet and all paper goes there. I line it with a plastic bag (the air-tight kind you buy in rolls) and when it's full, I just tie the bag and it goes into the garbage. Paper takes a long time to compost and it will fill up the composting chamber quickly.
Old 06-08-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: finding a toilet to fit a small head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsailing View Post
C-Head makes 3 different models, you'd probably find one that fits in your head..
Let's keep this moving. Anyone else out there familar with C-Head?
Went to their web site quickly, I'm not sure what to think but the price sure looks attractive.