Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: finding a toilet to fit a small head

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Let's keep this moving. Anyone else out there familar with C-Head?
Went to their web site quickly, I'm not sure what to think but the price sure looks attractive.
Fireboat52 posted this a few pages back.

Quote:
I 'm not sure it I am breaking any rules because I am the designer and builder of the C-Head, but I just wanted to address some of the issues that have been brought up regarding composting toilets for boats, in general.
I would send him a PM if you want specific product information just to make sure that he doesn't get in trouble for breaking some rule about posting as an advertiser.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet report

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I'm almost certainly going to put one of these in before shoving off again and take the Thetford MSD out. The problem is the small footprint area I have to work with. None of the commercially made units would come even close to fitting. Will probably build in a box and use one of the separating seats I've seen advertized. Venting should be fairly straightforward using a solar vent unit but designing some kind of trap door arrangement and a "stirrer" will require some thought. The more research I do on these, the better I like the idea.
Instead of a trap door , I use a lift out lid, a stainless pot lid from the thrift store. I lift it and set it aside when giving birth to a XXXXXXXXXXXX. That lets me put a lip around the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX canal ,so no liquids can flow into the solids container.
For a stirrer , I welded up a stainless hoop, with the crank handle 90 degrees to the hoop. That way the hoop lies horizontal, so it doesn't get coated with hardened solids.

(Comments construed to be political were removed per forum rules. I can't believe that I had to do this, but as pointed out in the member complaint political commentary should only occur in Off-topic. Jeff_H)

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-25-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Comments construed to be Political were removed per forum rules.
Old 06-08-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: finding a toilet to fit a small head

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Fireboat52 posted this a few pages back.
I would send him a PM if you want specific product information just to make sure that he doesn't get in trouble for breaking some rule about posting as an advertiser.
Ya know I went to the C head web site, started watching a couple of their videos & then it hit me. Fireboat 52 is Sandy.

Duh, asleep at the switch....
Old 06-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Instead of a trap door , I use a lift out lid, a stainless pot lid from the thrift store. I lift it and set it aside (political commentary snipped) ,so no liquids can flow into the solids container.
For a stirrer , I welded up a stainless hoop, with the crank handle 90 degrees to the hoop. That way the hoop lies horizontal, so it doesn't get coated with hardened solids.
I'm guessing that on the occasional visits by the opposite sex, they will never reach in and touch a lid with (SURPRISE!) poop underneath, moss or no moss. A lid does make a lot of sense because it is probably better at sealing out critters. I can see where there might be a "caking" problem if any part of the stirrer is directly in the line of fire. In the commercial units, the stir mechanism looks like it swings out of the way, shaped like a C. I guess the idea is to just aerate a bit, not try to macerate it.

Last edited by Faster; 06-25-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2012

fireboat52 is on a distinguished road

This is probably one of the best forum discussions on the subject of "composting toilets" vs "holding tank systems" that I have ever read. I hope it continues but it is also a prime example of how injecting political views can stiffle an otherwise vigorous, informative and important discussion. Twice now since I have started following this thread, it has come to a screeching halt after someone (not the same persons) felt it necessary to inject politics into it. There are lots of forums where a person can vent politically. We should be able to agree that nobody wants to sail or swim around in poop and go from there.
Captainmeme likes this.
Old 06-25-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

BREAKING NEWS

I switched from peat moss to coconut coir this year .... wooo hoooo .... I'll report back at the end of the sailing season

I still don't miss my leaking holding tank, bad joker valves, pump-outs gone awry, permeated hoses, plugged hoses (outflow and vent), worries about "is the Y valve in the legal position and locked", flushing with a final cup of tap water to get rid of vegetation, and another thru-hull & seacock to worry about leaking.
Old 06-25-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Well, have confirmed my suspicion that none of the commercially made units will fit the small space on my boat so am in the process of designing a built-in system that utilizes simple spackle buckets as the base of operations, much the same as one of the systems I've seen. It will have some sort of sliding lid that can be opened after sitting which will relieve the squeamish from ever having to view the contents. Have been testing the idea at home with sphagnum peat and I've got to say I am amazed at how odor-free it is. I am wondering if these actually need a powered vent or if just an additional 1-1/2" tube leading up into the dorade box would suffice. I will try to snap some photos to post as it progresses.
Old 07-20-2012
Boatsail

boatsail1 is on a distinguished road

Excellent discussion. Thanks to all. Thinking of going C toilet on my ODay 28. I dont like pumbing or discharging to sea. Perhaps too picky, but thats me.
Boatsail1
Old 07-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Some pix of built-in composter. Maybe some of the ideas will be useful to others with a small space.composting toilet report-boathead1.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead2.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead3.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead4.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead6.jpg

Had a picture of the 4" PVC housing for the fan but it seems 5 pix is all that are allowed to be posted. The housing is two 4"-1-1/2" reducers with a short piece connecting then. Only one side glued so as to be able to get at the fan. Fan is a 12v computer fan which needed to be ground down carefully at the corners to fit the PVC. PVC was ground out a bit on a oscillating sander to fit fan corners. The stirrer is a piece of 3/8" round s.s. That's coconut coir in the bucket.

The sliding lid is just a pc. of 1/4ply with mica laminate. same as the top and front.
juggleandhope and boatsail1 like this.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-20-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Other pix:composting toilet report-boathead4.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead5.jpg

composting toilet report-boathead2.jpg

The urine cup, with barbed hose connector, drains into a polyethylene oil jug which can be removed by tilting the bucket. I may put in a door in the front to make access easier.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.