Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet report

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I'm guessing that on the occasional visits by the opposite sex, they will never reach in and touch a lid with (SURPRISE!) poop underneath, moss or no moss. A lid does make a lot of sense because it is probably better at sealing out critters. I can see where there might be a "caking" problem if any part of the stirrer is directly in the line of fire. In the commercial units, the stir mechanism looks like it swings out of the way, shaped like a C. I guess the idea is to just aerate a bit, not try to macerate it.
One can make a simple stainless hook with a handle on it, for lifting the lid out, set near the head..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012

DoubleEnder is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say that I just put a C-head in my new (to me) 36' sloop.

It's awesome! On a three week trip from Virginia to Ma. it worked perfectly. Yes it does have an "earthy" smell from the peat moss but that's it. Beats that old nasty head smell and no more having to deal with holding tanks/hoses/pump out boats etc. So easy to use even a cave man could do it.

Brian
Brent Swain and boatsail1 like this.
Old 07-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There is just a little bit of coir in the bucket. When the loop is down it does get covered, out of the firing line. It seems that if the loop is left down and turned slowly 4 times clockwise, 4 counterclockwise, it gives plenty of stir to do a good mix/aeration. The normal level of peat/coir will be higher. The handle is rugged. made the axle from an old pc. of 1" shaft, 3/8" hole drilled through with two 5'16" set screws on a flat ground in the shaft. The spokes are just 5/16" bolts. There's a piece of screen inside the vent tube so critters can't get in that way. I do have the lid with a screw in the top to grab hold of but it will not snap on with the trough in the way. Will try this bucket arrangement but there is room to build in a much larger fiberglass base up along the curvature of the hull. The whole frame could easily be hinged to lift up for access. The bucket should be kinda handy though if it works well enough because when full, the cap can just be snapped on, vent hole plugged, and a new bucket cycled in.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 07-23-2012
Boatsail

boatsail1 is on a distinguished road

smurphny, how is the CT working? Like the creativeness
Old 07-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Boat is on the hard now so have not put into action yet. This fall will post on how it works out.
Old 08-12-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Just tested a little 1.8w, $25 solar panel with the computer fan. It seems to work great. Am going to connect this to a small 12v wet cell battery to keep the head vent completely separate from the house battery bank. This way I will have 0 additional amperage draw due to this project.
Old 04-06-2013

amelia is on a distinguished road

We installed a C-Head in our homemade boat last year, despite feminine misgivings as to esthetics, technique learning curve, and waste-handling workload, but we barged ahead, because dealing with holding tanks, pumputs, stuck valves, permeated hoses, pumpout logs and discharge locks seemed far worse.
Long story short, we are delighted.
-There is NO odor.
-We have had no fly infestations so far, only place in this swamp with no bugs is our head.
-Cleaning and maintenance is very quick and easy. Transferring solid waste is quick and easy. No disassembly necessary.
- The five-gallon secondary solid waste bin holds a lot more than a holding tank would have, months worth at our current rate of usage, and if it fills, we have a spare 5-gallon bucket-and-snap-on lid here somewhere. Try THAT with a full holding tank, miles from the nearest working pump out station.
-Parts for this brand are, for the most part, available at our small-town hardware store. We changed our minds about the toilet seat, and replaced ours for <$15.
-The cabinet is compact, with a narrow footprint, sits flush against the bulkhead, and is no taller than a household toilet. The churn crank needs no space to the side. Very efficient use of space, and comfortable to sit on.
-Need another urine container? At least for this brand, here's another empty water/milk jug. Easy! Cheap! Readily to hand. Unobtrusive to empty, light-weight. No worries about middle-of-the-night overfill. Capping the jug, tucking it in a totebag, and pouring it in the next marina toilet is easy, neat, and at least as environmentally sound as any alternative. For that matter, urine is sterile. If some should accidentally be spilled overboard in open water, I wouldn't be horrified. Not that I would do such an illegal thing.
-Our male guests, so far, seem cool with the "EVERYbody sits to pee" rule. Anybody who finds that requirement an affront to his masculine identity can (perfectly legally) head for the lee rail.

So, it is not a flush-and-forget-it solution like our home toilet, but no boat head is. This, so far, seems like a very reasonable solution to what appears to be a vexing problem to most boaters.

Last edited by amelia; 04-06-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Two weeks ago I installed the C-head in a boat I am restoring on the hard. I have been using it and am really pleased with it. Installation is simple... I just put it on the flat surface in the head and lashed it in place. I am not going to vent it unless there is a bit of smell.

I charged it with peat moss and a cup of diatomaceous earth I bought at WalMart. Diatomaceous earth will kill any insect larvae.

But to be honest I'm not sure insects would even find it. The head (the room and not the device ) has that post-go fragrance for a few minutes after use but it goes away just a few minutes after stirring. Pee container can't be smelled either.

I haven't emptied it since I commissioned it. I will keep using it until it is full to see if there is any smell at any point in the fill cycle.

Thanks for the testimonials of the users here. Your experiences convinced me that the C-head was the way to go. Amazingly simple...no salt water supply/no toilet discharge line to holding tank/no holding tank/no holding tank discharge line/no macerator pump/no three way valve/no in-port and at sea discharge penetrations and valves (one above and one below the water line)/no spare parts bin for toilet and valves/no valve maintenance/no troubleshooting when things don't go right/no searching for pump out facility/no $$$ for pump outs/no violating the law when no pump out can be found. And no smell (although to be honest my boat has never had a head smell).

Eliminating all that peripheral plumbing equipment makes a lot of space available for stowage on my small boat.
composting toilet report-img_2769.jpg
Old 04-06-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Diatomaceous earth will kill any insect larvae.
You're right! What a great idea! I've been using premethrin insect spray (which works) thinking that since they soak infant malaria nets in the stuff that it should be nice and non-toxic. Well it turn out that its REALLY toxic to cats. Since I have a ship's cat, I need an alternative. Besides it smells. I've heard of using diatomaveous earth in gardening and other applications but for the composting head this sounds like pure genius!

Diatomaceous earth plus coconut coir is hopefully the perfect recipe.

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Medsailor...I can't take credit for that. Sandy of C-heads recommends using diatomaceous earth in his video describing his products and how to use them. I thought it was genius too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.