Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013

troy2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet report

I've had a C-head in my motor home for a few months now, as a test run for installing it in the boat I'm building.

My only question at this point is, "do I yank my motor home's C-Head for the boat, and reinstall the water-flushing toilet it replaced -- or leave it there, bite the bullet and buy another one for the boat?

The answer should be pretty simple. But I'm a cheapskate, and 500 bucks is 500 bucks.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013

hughdon is on a distinguished road

Is anyone familiar with the 'incinerating toilets' used on inland Tugs?
Cost?
Use too much electricity?
Old 04-15-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

That's an "Incinolet".

Be still my heart.

Aside from needing, yes, a freaking lot of power for the long burn cycle, and the somewhat delicate concern of "I'm about to place my bare ass IN a furnace and hang out for a while..."

Oh, and you drop in a paper liner something like a coffee filter before each use/cycle.

Around two grand and needing 2000 watts for 45? minutes. If you can afford 2kwh out of your power every time you flush, no pun intended, wouldn't that be a nice way to go?
Old 04-15-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

We bought a C-Head after a couple of poo showers due to a clogging vent. I guess you could say that we'd had enough of that sh!t.
My wife wrote up the whole deal on our blog if you want to read it. I still can't believe that C-Head linked to it as a review.
It's here- Day 10: The **** Diaries, Golden Showers and **** » Landfall Voyages

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2013

troy2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
We bought a C-Head after a couple of poo showers due to a clogging vent. I guess you could say that we'd had enough of that sh!t.
My wife wrote up the whole deal on our blog if you want to read it. I still can't believe that C-Head linked to it as a review.
It's here- Day 10: The **** Diaries, Golden Showers and **** » Landfall Voyages
Tks for the link. It's a good write-up, and it agrees with my personal experience using the C-Head.

The biggest knock I've had on mine is people carrying on about the fact that it has to be emptied more often than the Nature's Head or Air Head. But c'mon, folks.... emptying a C-Head is about as hard as taking out the kitchen trash. Even easier actually, because you don't have to stick a new bag in it afterwards.
Old 04-18-2013

highwind is on a distinguished road

The Humanure Handbook is still available for download by chapters in pdf format:

Look for table of contents.

One thing that hasn't been touched on in this discussion is aerobic purification and decomposition of human waste, such as is used in municipal treatment plants where treatment has to proceed at a brisk pace through the use of sprayers or waterfalls. Composting tends to depend on this similar process to kill pathogens without the liquid environment through the use of dry bulking agents to maintain oxygen levels. One of the advantages of the C-head is the storage of batches for further decomposition without the addition of fresh material. Unfortunately, the exclusion of air by sealing the container stops the aerobic purification process just as not turning a compost pile slows the decomposition and purification process. In a larger composting system the compost is withdrawn from the bottom of the chamber, where the decomposition process has been completed. However since it is an actively used system, there is still potential for contamination; thus the warnings and concerns about handling composted human waste. There is a report put out by the EPA that charts the life of the various pathogens found in human waste products when exposed to various environments.
Search this since I can't post links:

water.epa.gov/aboutow/owm/upload/2005_07_14_comp.pdf

Also, very little is said about municipal treatment plants that empty their effluent into our waterways and oceans, especially when these systems are overloaded by storm sewer runoff. Contrary to common beliefs, most cities (especially large older coastal cities) still have not completed the federally mandated process of separating storm water from sewage lines. So when you take your boat to the pumpout station today, it doesn't mean your waste is being handled properly. What it means is that you will likely be drinking it tomorrow!

Last edited by highwind; 04-18-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-18-2013

I should add that sunlight is also a great purifier, as well. So when you dump your compost out of your bucket you could be doing our environment a favor.
Old 04-18-2013

For those people with troubled holding tank systems, the addition of air into the holding tank has been recommended to reduce odors. Most recommendations center around larger and shorter ventilation hoses.
Old 04-18-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwind View Post
The Humanure Handbook is still available for download by chapters in pdf format:

Look for table of contents.

One thing that hasn't been touched on in this discussion is aerobic purification and decomposition of human waste, such as is used in municipal treatment plants where treatment has to proceed at a brisk pace through the use of sprayers or waterfalls. Composting tends to depend on this similar process to kill pathogens without the liquid environment through the use of dry bulking agents to maintain oxygen levels. One of the advantages of the C-head is the storage of batches for further decomposition without the addition of fresh material. Unfortunately, the exclusion of air by sealing the container stops the aerobic purification process just as not turning a compost pile slows the decomposition and purification process. In a larger composting system the compost is withdrawn from the bottom of the chamber, where the decomposition process has been completed. However since it is an actively used system, there is still potential for contamination; thus the warnings and concerns about handling composted human waste. There is a report put out by the EPA that charts the life of the various pathogens found in human waste products when exposed to various environments.

water.epa.gov/aboutow/owm/upload/2005_07_14_comp.pdf

Since I can't post links you have to add http, etc. at the beginning to complete the preceding url.

Also, very little is said about municipal treatment plants that empty their effluent into our waterways and oceans, especially when these systems are overloaded by storm sewer runoff. Contrary to common beliefs, most cities (especially large older coastal cities) still have not completed the federally mandated process of separating storm water from sewage lines. So when you take your boat to the pumpout station today, it doesn't mean your waste is being handled properly. What it means is that you will likely be drinking it tomorrow!
My C-Head came with a venting system for the secondary storage container.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013

Sorry. You're right. There is the vent system that comes with the system. I just remembered the comments about storing the full container with a sealed lid...