Do I need to buy offshore foulies for this south-bound delivery? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-04-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Tom is right. November can be REALLY COLD. The Gulf Stream can also get really nasty. In one Bermuda Race we beat for a more than a day into an 8' chop caused by an eddy going against the wind. Every third or fourth wave we simply sailed off the top of it, and the boat fell 8' into the trough. Down below, crew off watch in their bunks were getting thrown up against the underside of the deck. Wearing foulies below gave another layer of padding. Another item you might want to consider bringing would be clear goggles - either the ski or worktool safety type. In a 40-knot rainsquall that lasts a half hour, it can at times be helpful to be able to see.
I was going to bring googles anyway, because I wear contact lenses, and workshop googles are something I use on Lake Ontario...well, this time of year, anyway.
Old 10-04-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hey Val,
We live in sunny Queensland and dress up like a member of the Mawson expedition when it gets a little chilly. WOuld not, could not cope in your neck of the frozen arctic tundra. I would need battery powered thermals - or crew [learning a character building episode] and I could stay in my bed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
A southbond trip early november is somehow a not well planned trip, to say the best. Your'e risking severe gales and hurricane encounter, specially this year's highlighted El Nino effects. I hope you have it in mind ... and yes, it will be a bit chilly sail, so beter to prepare yourself.
Old 10-05-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Buy em Val.....you will there after always have them needed or not.

Good luck to you...and have a safe trip..looking forward to the updates.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-05-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Bring foulies. I only have one pair, but its henry lloyd's ocean racer jacket and bibs. Retail they cost a mortgage payment. But I have NEVER turned down a sail due to weather. And if I was going offshore in Nov., you'd better believe I'd have em on board.

I'm with negrini, pick a different time of year, or risk 40 knots of breeze.
Old 10-05-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I raced across the Gulf of Mexico in the middle of the summer. I was glad for every piece of equipment I had with me.

Sea boots
West Marine's best bibs
Heavy Offshore Jacket (borrowed from the boat owner as mine was just worn out)
Tons of layers to go underneath it all

For the two days that it blew and the 0230 reefing wake up calls I appreciated every piece of equipment I had on. I would not go off shore without a full layer of protection.

Not that even the best equipment will keep you dry, but will lessen the quantity of water from each wave over the bow that will make it all the way down to your skin. This allows the water already inside to at least warm up a bit. There could be days of brutal weather and foulies would allow you to spend more time in the cockpit and be more alert as a result of comfort.

But then again if you are cycling in December in Canada in a Kilt, you may be of heartier stock than me. Might I suggest a heavy wool kilt for the passage and a sport kilt for the time on the island.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post

But then again if you are cycling in December in Canada in a Kilt, you may be of heartier stock than me. Might I suggest a heavy wool kilt for the passage and a sport kilt for the time on the island.
LMRO.. .Classic truly classic..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-05-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
And remember we froze are BUTTS off in august off the south shore of Long island

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-05-2009

sahara is on a distinguished road
For serious offshore, you want to stay warm and dry. For hands, forget the Gill and WM "cold weather sailing gloves". If it gets really wet, you'll be wringing water out of them 10 miinutes into a watch. For one trip, it's also not worth buying heavy duty goretex boots. Go to your local REI and get Seal Skin gloves and socks. They are waterPROOF, and work. I use them at night in Maine much more than my $300 DuBarry's. Size the socks so you can put another pair of socks beneath, and they'll be OK with a pair of Keens. Rubber boots are cheap and OK, but your feet will sweat. The Seal Skins really work.

Climbing/skiing/Biking shell layers are NOT the same as offshore FWG. I know. I thought I was going to freeze to death in Maine in July in my Arc'teryx ice climbing shell gear. If there is any way to swing it, at least get an offshore jacket with a high fleece-lined collar, wrist seals and hood. I love my Musto, but it is pricy as the dickens. My son has had very good luck with a much less expensive Gill. I think layering under a goretex bib or pants that are meant for skiing would be sufficient.

If you are going offshore, be sure the host has an extra inflatable PFD/harness and tether, or get your own.
Old 10-05-2009
Hull Number 33

OldColumbia is on a distinguished road
Dear Val,

As a former Hoser, (eh!) I would recommend the lighter, more flexible rain gear since you'll be layered, wearing a PFD with harness and GPS/Radio/strobe as well as your full fingered gloves. Depending on the angle of heel, the bib (though extra padding) may give you a grand wedgie when you bend in the shoulder straps but provide some protection from green water in your boots.
Staying behind the dodger with your hood tied will keep you the warmest.