Watermaker Plans - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-04-2009 Thread Starter

Talking Watermaker Plans

After much searching I found this http://www.westward-ii.com/PDF's/How%20to%20build%20your%20own%20watermaker.pdf
Southron Spirit likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-05-2009
clueless

Very interesting...
post #3 of 26 Old 10-05-2009

Litchfield's methodolgy and explanations are spot on. If you follow his directions, etc. you can build yourself an engine driven watermaker for ~$1000.00 for a system that will last for several years, double that for a system made of bronze/stainless. Costs will vary based on how well you can 'shop' for the parts.

Making your own watermaker is quite easy and a DIY watermaker can have most the components 'spread-out' all over the boat if you have storage volume issues.

I was involved in the engineering of sophisticated RO, etc. equipment for many many years and will say that what Litchfield presents is 'spot on'. For simplicity and cost savings, his 'manual control method' is also 'spot on' as there is nothing better than a 'cognizant human brain' when it comes to 'control systems'.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-05-2009

Looks like a lot of the equipment here would be used for my A/C (intake thru-hulls, strainer, impeller based feed water pump, output thru-hull above the waterline, etc). What are opinions around t-ing into that existing equipment for this watermaker?

Another benefit for me is that my water tanks are already on the port side, right by where the A/C intake already is, so piping runs will be smaller to boot.

Although there would be a looong way to pipe for an engine mounted pump. May have to go 120V pump for the high pressure side of things.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #5 of 26 Old 10-05-2009

Sure you can tee in a lot of line to other equipment. Only you have to be sure that the 'draw pressure' of the booster pump doesnt suck air back through the 'other' devices and cause a slug of air to hit the high pressure pump ... or worse the RO membrane. Such will work if you have valves on the discharge of the 'other' equipment that is 'tee'd into' the RO unit.

Using a 120v pump has definite downsides, as when you have 120v available you usually dont have 'decent' and low particle water to draw from (harbor marina, etc. etc.). Best is 12vdc or engine driven so that you can reliably take on water that has some degree of low particle burden - out in the open ocean or in some remote & not-close-to-*pooping-in-the-water-people*, location . ;-(

A high pressure deck wash pump is ideal to feed the lowside of a high pressure RO pump; and, you have the availability of the deck wash when the watermaker is not on.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-05-2009

This project has me intrigued. What is a good source (online or otherwise) for membranes and membrane housings?

I suspect that this will be most difficult part to procure in addition to the high pressure pump.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #7 of 26 Old 10-05-2009 Thread Starter

post #8 of 26 Old 10-05-2009 Thread Starter

Something elese I have discovered is that you can find a lot of the componants needed on Ebay for a fraction of the cost.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
This project has me intrigued. What is a good source (online or otherwise) for membranes and membrane housings?

I suspect that this will be most difficult part to procure in addition to the high pressure pump.
Midwest RO Reverse Osmosis and Water Filters and Membranes in Illinois is probably the cheapest. Probable best and most compact hi Pressure pump is the Giant Model 218 @ $350.00 (brass head not bronze).
post #10 of 26 Old 10-06-2009

Smile

Glad I sail the Great Lakes. $70 filter will handle a couple of hundred gallons. Have to hand pump though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.