Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Goose neck separated!

The goose neck on my boom came apart yesterday. The good news is that it happened just as I was heading up wind, shaking out a reef! What would have happened under load? I assume, given the size of the bolts, there is not a lot of pressure at the foot? Anyway, the bolt doesn't appear to be broken to me (though, the end is not completely smooth). Looks like the nut simply came off. Thoughts? I'm going to pull it apart and see whats in the boom, but just wanted to get input first. Pictures are of the mast end of the boom and the goose neck.
Attached Thumbnails
Goose neck separated!-goose-neck.jpg   Goose neck separated!-mast-end-boom.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 10-05-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Looks like the nut simply came off.
Sure looks that way to me too. If so, consider using a locknut in conjunction with the one that was on there.

How is the access to the end plate on the boom?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-05-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
I agree, it doesn't look as though the bolt broke from the thread pattern at the end. I suspect that the nut worked off the end of the bolt with the twisting of the boom. I must admit that I am not familiar with that particular boom, though if you mentioned the name and size it is likely that someone on this site has worked with it before. Good luck with the repair - hopefully it is not going to be too difficult.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 10-06-2009

Well, it looks like not only one nut came off the bolt, but two nuts with a lock washer and fender washer! Must have been pretty loose for a while. Lesson learned! I wonder if the corrosion on the inside of the cap can be fixed? If not, maybe some JB Weld.
Attached Thumbnails
Goose neck separated!-gooseneck-nuts.jpg   Goose neck separated!-front-boom-cap.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That appears to be an old roller reefing style boom. There should also have been a strong spring inside your boom that held the cast male square inside of the square socket cast into the aluminum.

Also in terms of the order with which the parts would have assembled there would have been a spring against the aluminum, then the fender washer, then the first nut, then the lock washer and then the second nut.

In order to reef, the way these booms were made to work, you pulled the boom aft away from the mast, disengaging the the cast male square from the square socket. Then you wrapped the mainsail around the boom, and then let the the cast male square engage the socket holding in the reef.

It was a pretty poor solution in many ways so many, if not most boats of this era have upgraded by replacing their roller reefing with slab reefing.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 10-06-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Try brushing some threadlock on the bolt before reassembly.
Old 10-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Try brushing some threadlock on the bolt before reassembly.
I'll at least do that, if not drill a hole for a cotter pin in the new bolt. First, I have to fill the valley created by electrolysis where the washer will sit. It always amazes me how random the electrolysis appears to be. It attacked one quarter of the piece and left the rest fully intact. The light is pretty intense in th picture, so it's hard to see, but the lower section has about a 1/2" eaten away. I wonder is painting the washer with "liquid electrical tape" would eliminate the electrolysis? I thought about investigating if I could replace the cap altogether, but I think Jeff's interesting post about possibly having been a roller furler boom answered that! A relic to say the least.

Last edited by L124C; 10-06-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.