Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-22-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i have tried to get mine to straighten to where i need it and it wont move. i have to make a new one in the spring, or use hydrolics to try to bend it
Hey Scottyt,
Have you tried the conduit bender yet? I've got one for sale, cheap. I tried to bend it with out tying it down and got nowhere. After I secured the area next to where I wanted the bend to occur, so it would not move, I was able to apply bends pretty precisely to the location I wanted to. My first bend was too much and I had to remove some of it. I then put a few bends on each side I wanted to bow out so it came out as a smooth curve along the section instead of a single bend.

Granted mine is pretty basic and the amount of movement I had to make was simple, but you might get something more square then let the bolts do the rest.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jephotog; 10-22-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: advertise my conduit bender for sale
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i wish my pulpit was that easy to bend. mine has a top and a lower pipe plus 4 verticals ones and its racked out of square. i have tried to get mine to straighten to where i need it and it wont move. i have to make a new one in the spring, or use hydrolics to try to bend it
Having been an electrician in a former career I learned how to fix my mistakes! The tough part is always holding the darn thing. You might try to find a welding shop with a welding platten with the square holes. These things are a big thick steel table abut 2" thick. The square holes hold all kinds of clamps. This allows you to clamp something down really solid, and gives you a place to push or pull from.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-22-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
jordan and gary, i am amaster electrician, i already have the benders. i have tried it the problem is its its racked. and out of square. it needs a jack to un rack it
Old 10-22-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
jordan and gary, i am amaster electrician, i already have the benders. i have tried it the problem is its its racked. and out of square. it needs a jack to un rack it
That is the tough case, which why I suggested the welding bench approach. If you can hold it down you might not even need the bender.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-22-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i wish my pulpit was that easy to bend. mine has a top and a lower pipe plus 4 verticals ones and its racked out of square. i have tried to get mine to straighten to where i need it and it wont move. i have to make a new one in the spring, or use hydrolics to try to bend it
I have had good luck and great results straightening pulpits and rails out using come-alongs, chains/straps and wood. If you could provide pics of what it's like I could maybe throw a few ideas out.

Ken.