SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bending a bow pulpit to fit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/58670-bending-bow-pulpit-fit.html)

jephotog 10-06-2009 01:38 PM

Bending a bow pulpit to fit

I am trying to fix up my little potter for cheap. I got a bow pulpit for the boat, but it came off something different and is not an exact fit. The support struts that are aft are a little too narrow. I could mount it as is and it would work, but I would like to bend them out a little bit.

Can the material that a rail pulpit is made of be safely bent? If so how do I do this?

DwayneSpeer 10-06-2009 01:43 PM

bend it

It was bent to manufacture it in the first place. Use a pipe bender.

GaryHLucas 10-06-2009 08:45 PM

The pulpit is tubing, not pipe, so it either 1" OD or 7/8" OD. It can be bent, but is hard to bend if what you are trying to do is actually straightening an existing bend. For the 7/8" tubing a 3/4" EMT bender will probably work the best. For the 1" a 3/4" Ridgid pipe bender would work better. The tough part is not kinking it. The benders used to make these rails have shoe that fits the tube exactly, and a half round follower block that fits the tube exactly. This keeps the tube from collapsing. However they don't straighten tubes well at all.

Gary H. Lucas

timebandit 10-06-2009 11:11 PM

Chain it to a tree and chain to a car and pull ?

jephotog 10-06-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryHLucas (Post 529477)
The pulpit is tubing, not pipe, so it either 1" OD or 7/8" OD.
Gary H. Lucas

Thanks for the elucidation Gary between pipe and tubing, seems important to know before i bend and tweak the rail. I was trying to figure out how to get at a pipe bender as i am out of town M-F. The aft stantions just need to be spread out about 3 inches or so wider per side. I think just a subtle tweak at a few places along the rails running aft may get it to line up a little better with the bow.

I am not sure if they have a bender in Home Depot or not but figure I could sneak a few tweaks on the pulpit in HD this weekend, if not I'll try the cars and chains idea. Not really.

jephotog 10-21-2009 02:11 PM

This is how I did it

3 Attachment(s)
Just following up on my thread, so it may be used as an archive in a search.

I was able to find a conduit bender from Lowes for $38. First attempt was with me holding the pulpit while my wife cranked on the bender. It felt like it moved but no such luck.

The hard part is I needed to isolate the area next to where I wanted to make the bend from moving. The plan was to lash it to an immovable object the crank. Here is the setup. I made bend in two places along the area and then put it against the boat and it was a bit too wide. So I removed some of the bend and flipped the pulpit around and bent the other side. Here is a photo of the setup and the results.

PS the 3/4" conduit bender worked on 7/8" tubing pulpit and I guess it would work with 1" as well

tager 10-21-2009 02:54 PM

Sweet!

arf145 10-21-2009 02:59 PM

Nice job!

nereussailor 10-22-2009 09:38 AM

Looks good to me. Great job!!

Dave

scottyt 10-22-2009 11:31 AM

i wish my pulpit was that easy to bend. mine has a top and a lower pipe plus 4 verticals ones and its racked out of square. i have tried to get mine to straighten to where i need it and it wont move. i have to make a new one in the spring, or use hydrolics to try to bend it