Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-11-2009

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
NeilPryde Sails

I am planning to replace my 15 yr old main and headsail and was considering NeilPryde sails from the local loft. However, I cannot find much information / reviews about it. Does anyone have any experience with NeilPryde sails? If so, how does it compare with North / Doyle sails ? I primarily cruise the Chesapeake.
Thank you to everyone in advance for your comments and suggestions.

>>>>>

Doolittle

Com-pac 35
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
You should probably mention the type of sailing you do and the characteristics you're looking for in sails. Performance? Shape-holding? Durability and longevity?

All of the Beneteaus (except the First Series) come with Neil Pryde sails. My Neil Pryde sails seem fine to me (nice shape, good performance, etc.), but I don't race and I mostly daysail and weekend with an occasional longer trip. Some people say that the Neil Pryde sails provided to Beneteau may be of lesser quality than their "normal" sails, but who knows.
Old 10-12-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
My experience has not been the best with Neil Pryde. My Beneteau 393 came with NP sails. After one season in the Bahamas the UV strip started coming off the genny. Called NP, long discussion in which I explained that the UV strip seemed to be some kind of painted on stuff and was coming off. No joy, no offer to repair or replace. NP rep stated that these sails were "built to a price point for beneteau" and that was it. He did say that if I wanted something decent they could make them for me. In effect he said that the sails that came with a Beneteau were not "real" NP sails. I said they had a NP logo on them prominently displayed. Made a vow then and there never to order from NP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
My Beneteau was built in France and came with Evstrom sails. We bought the boat new in 1999. The sails are still crisp and have a good shape to them. I am happy with Evstrom and when the time comes replace them i would go with Evstrom.

Elvstrom UK Homepage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 10-12-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
I can strongly recommend you call Scott Gibbs with Evolution/Renegade sails. They have an Annapolis office and their actual loft is in Easton, MD on the Eastern Shore.

I will also tell you that this loft is producing some really high quality products, for local crusiing boats in the Chesapeake all the way up to high-tech carbon string sails for TP52 racers.

Scott can be reached at 410-819-8886. Tell him Jason Smith referred you. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 10-12-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Like ALL lofts, you have the "cheap" sails, and you have the quality sails! A few boats in my YC that that NP sails, luv them, and win a lot of races. BUT< they get the better to best quality sails NP makes etc. I would Consider them, even tho I went with Ullman sails for different reasons shapes and forms.

marty
Old 10-13-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
There is no easy answer. If a sailmaker only makes crap sails, they won't stay in business. NP makes great sales. They cost a lot. So does Q, they cost a lot. North also makes good sales, they cost a lot. All of the big boys will cost a pretty penny, but they will also make you a 'budget' set as well. NP had an agreement w/ bene to make cheap sails for their boats. That's all there is to it.
Old 10-13-2009

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Our new (used) Pearson came with recently purchased NeilPryde Mainsail and Genny. No problems with either (so far). Both are a joy to work with. My first experience with roller furling and, being a split rig, the main is MUCH easier to handle than the one on our last boat.

good luck...

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 10-13-2009

Cmusicbear1 is on a distinguished road
When I bought Zephyr (1986 Hunter31) 5+ years ago, it had a 1-year old Neil Pryde main. I don't know what quality level this sail is, but it still shapes well and moves the boat easily. last spring, I was looking to buy both new main and jib and was told by 2 different lofts (Banks and an independent loft) that replacement of the main was unwarranted for 2-3 more years based on the current condition and age. I get out on Zephyr 2-3 times a month under sail both picnic sailing and weekending. To me, this seems to be good quality/performance at any price point. No matter which loft you decide to go with, make sure they make the effort to measure YOUR boat and not just make the sail from the manufacturer's sail plan.
Old 10-13-2009

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
NP Sails

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

It certainly provides a reference point for NP sails. As most of my sailing is basically coastal cruising, I was looking for economical and durable set of sails. Having said that, I was hoping to invest in quality material given the amount of money it costs. So far, NP have come out quite reasonably on the quote (compared with Quantum and North). Also, the order would be handled through the local rep / loft with whom I have done sail-repair business before. Also, the rep will be coming to the boat to take exact measurements. I think I will give NP a try.

Once again, thank you everyone for your valuable input.