Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second using Butyl Tape in any application above the waterline that does not require the mechanical adhesive strength of one of the other sealant-adhesives. 4200 and 5200 are adhesives that work as sealants IMHO, not really sealants in and of themselves. Removing anything bedded in either is a PITA and can result in some serious damage to your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Thanks again

Once again, I am glad I asked. After searching the threads for more information I thought I had it covered but came up with some more information with a new thread. I am glad i waited as well as I almost ordered a bunch of smaller tubes of 4200 and life-seal yesterday.

I will see if I can find some butyl tape at a local RV supply place. There are a lot more RV outlets nearby than chandleries in Utah. I will look for some 3m 101 as a secondary option. Any suggestions of where to look for either of these locally. I do have one drainage port I installed below the waterline in the boat that i sealed with silicone just to close it up, for now. Should I go ahead and use 4200 there? There is also a padeye mounted into the bow to attach to the winch for pulling up onto the trailer. It appears to be unsealed and even loose, I suspect the padeye part may be a Home Depot part. When I put a SS padeye there, would this be a good place for 4200 as well?

Also to clarify my plan based on all I have read here on the deck hardware rebedding:
-Pull off all hardware in one location. (I will brake it down to one area at a time, forward of the mas then aft)
-Clean up old sealant.
-Drill out oversized but not to exceed the size of hardware covering it.
tape underside of hole and fill with epoxy to coat and seep in then drain and fill with thickened epoxy
-Use hardware to drill out new holes. Bevel interior of holes.
-Use butyl tape for new bedding
-Mount using SS bolts and SS backing plate inside boat.

Thanks

Last edited by jephotog; 10-13-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: More stupid questions
Old 10-13-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
5200 is NOT a bedding compound. silicone does not work for more than one season and is inappropriate for bedding---read the tube LOL.....i use lifecaulk---liquid for certain things on my formosa and regular for the rest----is an appropriate compound, as is 4200..silkaflex is also good..and some others-----but--if you want to have to redo everything every year, use silicone. if you wish failures, use 5200----that stuff doesnt come off easily either--is a permanent glue for mounting stuff not for bedding things-says so on the label, btw.........
Old 10-13-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
silicone does not work for more than one season and is inappropriate for bedding
Just to clarify, I have no intention of leaving the silicone on the plug. I only used it then as I had a hole in my boat below the waterline and it was the only product I had on hand to temporarily seal the hole, in case I wanted to go sailing before I could get it done right.
Old 10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Just to clarify, I have no intention of leaving the silicone on the plug. I only used it then as I had a hole in my boat below the waterline and it was the only product I had on hand to temporarily seal the hole, in case I wanted to go sailing before I could get it done right.
i have never tried silicone for that usage---i have used splash zone, but is difficult to remove for temp duties......
Old 10-13-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
When I put a SS padeye there, would this be a good place for 4200 as well?
Not really that pad eye will be mechanically fastened and will NOT require a glue. If you feel like using a glue you can but you don't need to.

Quote:
Also to clarify my plan based on all I have read here on the deck hardware rebedding:
-Pull off all hardware in one location. (I will brake it down to one area at a time, forward of the mas then aft)
-Clean up old sealant.
-Drill out oversized but not to exceed the size of hardware covering it.
tape underside of hole and fill with epoxy to coat and seep in then drain and fill with thickened epoxy
-Use hardware to drill out new holes. Bevel interior of holes.
-Use butyl tape for new bedding
-Mount using SS bolts and SS backing plate inside boat.

Thanks

Feel free to read this article:

Sealing Deck Penetrations to Prevent Core Rot (LINK)

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-13-2009

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Should you choose to use 3m 4200 or the 5200 for whatever's appropriate, you can put the opened tube in the freezer as soon as you're done. I've found that it thaws out and is like new a few months later.
Old 10-14-2009

you might want to place penetrating epoxy into th escrew hole then bed the screws with 4200 then finish.....will never be a problem if you use the epoxy....seals the core and the glass.......just a hint for the wicked....from the wicked---it works well-----i picked this one up from a boatbuilder i knew long ago.......

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.