Electronic Barometers/Barographs? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2009 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing

Electronic Barometers/Barographs?

Well, I need to get a Barograph (logging barometer) and I'm looking at a few different electronic versions. The one I'd like to get is over $1,000 with accessories, but I'll post it here for grins. Any thoughts on the others? I'm leaning towards the NASA Marine unit right now.

NASA Marine Unit (I'd get it without the wind speed stuff)

Weems & Plath

Aquatech

P-Raeber Really expensive but very cool

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to lshick
I have an earlier version of the Weems & Plath unit. It has served well enough. Only real complaint has been that it has a non-adjustable threshold for high-wind warning, which leads to false alarms in the tropics (because there's a twice-daily 3mb change in baro pressure). Other than that, ok.

Larry Shick
V42-148 "Moira"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2009

I have a Speedtech unit I bought second-hand for $35. It's no longer made, and eats just 4 AAA batteries per year. It is ideal for me, and logs 24 hours of readings.

You may wish to simply just get a good aneroid barometer and a wrist-top watch that records baro info like those from Suunto (I glance at mine a few times a day in changeable weather). Conversely, get a weather station with output to a PC and record and display historigraphs that way.

Other than that, the W&P unit is most similar to my old Speedtech. Look at the Oregon Instruments site; they may have something appropriate, too.
w42sailor likes this.

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2009

I have a Weems and Plath # 4002, I think it's the current model, a simple electronic barometer. It uses AA batteries which last about a year. IT displays history at 2,4,6,12,24 and 48 hr intervals and lets you set an gale warning alarm for the pressure change you set in. The only fearure I'd like that it doesn't have is a dew point as we get fog often here in the spring/fall.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Well, I need to get a Barograph (logging barometer) and I'm looking at a few different electronic versions. The one I'd like to get is over $1,000 with accessories, but I'll post it here for grins. Any thoughts on the others? I'm leaning towards the NASA Marine unit right now.

NASA Marine Unit (I'd get it without the wind speed stuff)

I have the Nasa Meteoman. It is available online for a lot less than the link you gave at:
allGadgets: Product: 'NASA MeteoMan Weather Station - £125!'
Nice unit, good display and hardwired into 12v. It requires a bit to mount it.

Paul L
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2009 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing

Thanks all. I just ordered the Meteoman from the link Paul posted. Hopefully I get it I'll let y'all know how it is.

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2016

Wink Re: Electronic Barometers/Barographs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
we use the unit from Yacht Devices (more information about the electronic barometer see the link).

it's only barometer, not barograp. But many chartplotters and digital navigation instruments are able to display data on pressure in the form of graphs or show a trend indicator.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-26-2016

Re: Electronic Barometers/Barographs?

Casio wristwatch and a log book entry every hour. That's what I do. Cheap, lightweight, simple, available everywhere. Also the logbook rather forces one to look at the values and grok the changes.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #9 of 11 Old 07-26-2016

NKE makes a very good NEMA Barometer for about $500. It logs 10 hours of data but can be interfaced to a computer or MFD for longer readings.

Greg
post #10 of 11 Old 07-26-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock

BAROPLUG - LCJ Capteurs
$125 or so.

NMEA 2000 compatible, about the size of a terminator, use your logging software to make the graphs...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.