Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-13-2009

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Help with seperating windlass from deck

I need to remove my windlass to replace some seals and refill with lube but I'm having trouble seperating it from the deck. Yes the bolts are removed. It is sealed very tightly to the deck and I've afraid of damaging the deck if I'm not careful. I'm thinking of using a screw jack under the capstan or gypsy, but that make create an issue too. I've tried tapping a flat edge around the bottom, in various places, but with no luck. Does anyone have any trick of the trade good for this job. I'm always wary of brute force.

Carl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
A trick I learned for removing hatches might just work for your windlass.

Cut several wooden wedges with a small (thin) angle. Then, gently pound them in between the windlass base and the deck, and work around the unit until it separates.

I used oak wedges. The first was the hardest. Once it got started, it was surprising how easy it was to remove the hatch...and the other three as well.

Bill
Old 10-13-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If it was

If it was put on with 5200 you'll want to use De-Bond. I have also use a high E acoustic guitar string with success. Be very careful as your gelcoat could give before the sealant...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-13-2009

georgefmys is on a distinguished road
Guaranteed to work! First,work a razor knife or thin paring knife right at deck level, just to score into caulk seam...spray 3M Adhesive Cleaner multiple times-idea is to keep the joint wet. Seam will open slightly, capillary action will allow the solvent in,it will weaken any caulk 5200 included. Keep going with knife, when you can get a thin screwdriver blade in gap,and tap lightly with hammer,fitting will pop loose. You must keep remaining caulk wet entire time-that's where the aerosol version is helpful.
Old 10-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Drywall knife.

The very thin type used for spreading mud. Nearly as thin as a razor, but reaches much deeper. Not for prying, just for cutting the seal.

Use this along with other forum suggestions.

Mainsail will probably suggest remounting it with butyl, which is a great idea if you are going to remove it for service every so many years.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2009

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the advice. After the weather cleared up I was able to remove the windlass with a thin blade putty knife and adhesive remover.
Thanks again.