Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2009

wakesurfboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Amen Brother...your catching on now..

What little exterior wood I have I wish was not there at all...nothing but a pain.
It's still time to remove the teak cockpit option (floor). My boat is a 2010 and not built yet so I can save $1200 but the floor will be fiberglass on the main deck area?

I order it mainly for look but is this option will add lot of maintenance + the cost ($1200), what is the advantage to keep this option?

Convince me guys...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Look, if you want teak to look brand new all the time, keep it indoors and use it for furniture. Outdoors, you can coat it with things--and then you've just wasted all that money on teak and turned it into plastic.You can just buy plastic that looks the same and has zero maintenance.

A teak naturally ages, the softer parts wear and the harder "ridges" remain, which gives it a natural an permanent anti-skid that is gentle to the feet BUT dirt gets trapped in those ridges. Best way to keep it clean is a soft brush (so you don't tear out wood) and a gentle cleaner used frequently.

And the you use teak oil to "feed" the wood, keep out excess moisture, darken it up a bit, and make it lsat longer.

There's the natural approach, or the unnatural approach (trying to make teak do the job of plastic) which accomplishes nothing except proving you've got lots of time and money to invest. All that bright work is nice--if that's what you want to do.

Teak grate in the cockpit floor? Yes, you can use plastic like DriDeck instead, but the teak is classy, and it will keep your feet dry when there's always some water on the cockpit floor.
Old 10-15-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Go with Teakguard. It's a water based product that will not turn black on you like oil will. I'ts not slippery and holds it's color throughout the season. You can control how dark it gets with the number of coats you apply. Since it's water based it wipes off, if still wet, should you get it on the gel coat when applying. I keep a wet towel handy and check my work frequently. I've used it on my last boat for 7+ years and now on my my new Beneteau 43. A friend of mine just put it on his B49 and is quite happy with it.
Mike
Old 10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
Go with Teakguard. I've used it on my last boat for 7+ years and now on my my new Beneteau 43. Mike
So I found the Holly Grail for teak, Teakguard?
Old 10-15-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
If the boat is not yet built, you might want to re-think the whole exterior wood thing. On a modern glass boat it is all about looks, so if you love it, do it.

The boat will outlast the wood, and it will have to be replaced at some point at great expense (not a worry if you have moved on to the next boat by then). The maintence is time spent not sailing, and it seems the best days to do wood work are early spring sunny days when I would rather be out on the water. The cost of the wood option, and the cost of ongoing maintence, could pay for other things on the boat you will find more usefull in the long run.

Most sailors I know who are shopping for their second or third boat end up looking for one with no exterior wood. Althought the wood is beautiful, enthusiam for it seems to shrink with time and experience.
Old 10-15-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
wakesurfboy, it's the best I've found so far. It does fade as the season wears on but you can just wash it when you clean the boat, let it dry and apply another coat. It really is easy and looks great. If you're not happy with it then just let it fade and go with something else. There's no residual like oil, cetol or varnish does. I'm very particular about my boat (that's anal to most folks) and wouldn't use anything else.
Old 10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
If the boat is not yet built, you might want to re-think the whole exterior wood thing. On a modern glass boat it is all about looks, so if you love it, do it.
I agree but the boat is comming standard with many wooden stuff :

- teak is present seating area, transom, transom steps and rail!

So by addind the the teak on floor inlay don't make a lot more of teak and for me, the boat will be more coherant (all the back of the boat with Teak).

I like the idea of Teakguard, someone as experience with this product?
Old 10-15-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
As soon as they invent a teak colored starboard I'm changing everything.
Old 10-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I never have liked grating in a cockpit myself so that's a moot point for me..I have tender feet so it nixes any barefoot comfort for this kid and I also hate always lifting them to get a good clean job done on the underlying fiberglass deck.

It is beautiful as a whole in your picture ( when new)...but for 1200.00 I'd pass in a nano second.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
It is beautiful as a whole in your picture ( when new)...but for 1200.00 I'd pass in a nano second.
True but the boat is paid in USD and I have CAD. Right now, the CAD gaining 1% per day on USD so I only have to wait 1/2 day before changing currency to get the cockpit floor option for free...