Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-14-2009

wakesurfboy is on a distinguished road
Holly grail for new teak!

Hello,

I Red lots of stuff (most of it scared me) in this forum about how to protect teak on boat. Mine is brand new so I want to have a PERFECT start and maintain it after. When you have a bad start on painting, difficult time after to come. Environmental stuff, very bad experience. Just scrap a Terra Cotta floor because the vendor changes my urethane for water based varnish that peel when a drop of water comes...

Oil: React with the caulking and the floor will turn gray?
Varnish: Peel after time?
Epoxy: UV Annihilation after time?
Cetol: Turn dark?

Varnish on epoxy is the holly grail? I like wet look but I hated gray or dark wook so oil is probably not a solution for me.

Remember my floor is brand new so it's not a refurbishing solution that I need but a first time, last time solution...

Last edited by wakesurfboy; 10-14-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Are you talking about interior or exterior teak, or both?

Personally, I would not coat teak with epoxy. Clear (i.e. unthickened) epoxy is used as an impermeable sealant, to protect wood from water damage. Teak doesn't need protection from water -- it is already virtually impervious to rot because of its natural oils.

Also, the epoxy will need to be protected from uv damage at all times. If you ever miss a re-varnish cycle and the epoxy suffers uv damage, you will have a real mess stripping it all off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Are you talking about interior or exterior teak, or both?

Personally, I would not coat teak with epoxy. Clear (i.e. unthickened) epoxy is used as an impermeable sealant, to protect wood from water damage. Teak doesn't need protection from water -- it is already virtually impervious to rot because of its natural oils.

Also, the epoxy will need to be protected from uv damage at all times. If you ever miss a re-varnish cycle and the epoxy suffers uv damage, you will have a real mess stripping it all off.
I talk about the exterior of course. Interior is already protected and less exposed to weather (sun & water).

About Varnish, can I absolutely trust this solution and only have to sand a bit each year and put 2 new coat? I fear the varnish will peal after a while even if I put two new coat each year... In fact, too much varnish will make the full coating too thick, I presume?

Also, because teak is oily, that makes varnish less grip?

Last edited by wakesurfboy; 10-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurfboy View Post
I talk about the exterior of course. Interior is already protected and less exposed to weather (sun & water).

About Varnish, can I absolutely trust this solution and only have to sand a bit each year and put 2 new coat? I fear the varnish will peal after a while even if I put two new coat each year... In fact, too much varnish will make the full coating too thick, I presume?

Also, because teak is oily, that makes varnish less grip?
If you have any concerns about keeping up with the varnish, then you should worry even more about the epoxy. If you don't protect the epoxy from UV, it will turn yellow and then cloudy, and eventually fail. It will be a mess.

The amount of maintenance for varnish varies by where you are located and how much abuse it gets. If you are living aboard in the tropics, you'll have to put more effort into it, maybe 2 or 3 sandings/coatings per year. If your boat is in Canada and you use it as a weekender and cover it in the winter, an annual sanding/coating might be too often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-14-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Cetol Gloss

I would not use regular Marine Cetol on your beautiful new teak.

Not sure if this is the "holy grail" but since your teak is already perfect, you might consider adding about 4 coats of either Cetol Gloss (preferred), and/or Cetol Natural Teak (2nd choice), or apply the natural, then a couple of top coats of gloss. Both will give you a good result without any of the orange-ness of the tinted cetol products. The gloss is harder than the other products and seems to hold up better and the wood looks natural.

As others have noted, maintenance frequency is subject to locale and use but at worst should be no more than a quick scuff and a couple of maintenance coats, as long as you dont let it get bad and peel.

If you do a search on this site, you'll find lots of discussions on this topic. Some love varnish, some hate Cetol products because of the tint. But the bottom line is with the teak, your results will directly coincide with the amount of effort and time and patience put into it.
Old 10-14-2009

Cetol, are your sure is better quality than varnish?
Old 10-14-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucerobs2 View Post
Not sure if this is the "holy grail" but since your teak is already perfect, you might consider adding about 4 coats of either Cetol Gloss (preferred), and/or Cetol Natural Teak (2nd choice)
Last time I read the can from Cetol...I said specifically not to use the clear coat by itself, start with 3-4 layers of Natural, Light, or Original, followed by 2-3 coats of gloss, which then becomes your maintenance coat.

I am a big fan of Cetol, especially the new Natural followed by the Gloss, but not for high traffic areas or areas where you will see it up close regularly.

I have been using Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss followed by their Extra UV Clear Varnish with great results, but I also keep those teak items covered (wheel, cockpit table, etc.).

More importantly, you say you want to use it on the exterior "floor"? If you mean your teak deck or cockpit floor I would do nothing to it!!!! Unless you like falling on your ass regularly.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-14-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I have been using Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss followed by their Extra UV Clear Varnish with great results, but I also keep those teak items covered (wheel, cockpit table, etc.).

More importantly, you say you want to use it on the exterior "floor"? If you mean your teak deck or cockpit floor I would do nothing to it!!!! Unless you like falling on your ass regularly.
Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss is a high quality varnish but not enough resistant for the flooring?

On my boat, the teak is present on floor inlay, seating area, transom and transom steps and rail!

I want the same finish on all exterior wood and if I can not use Varnish, I will use oil!
Old 10-14-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Its fairly common to see teak treated differently in different areas. For example, my toe rail, dorade boxes, hatch boards are covered in Cetol Natural & Gloss. The wheel, cockpit table are covered in Epifanes Gloss Finish and Clear Varnish. My Cockpit seats are covered in Semco Teak Sealer - Natural.

Maybe a teak sealer like Semco would be the way to go, but even that I find somewhat slippery when wet.

Maybe you could post a picture or two.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-14-2009