Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-14-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Rebedding aluminum toe rails

This is "yet another which goop do I use" posting. I did scour the archives, but I'm still not 100% certain of my decision...

I have removed the beastly 27' long aluminum toe rails from my boat to allow me to perform a deck repair. Just as well, on a 30 year old boat it was time to put a nice new seal in place. It appears that they were originally bedded in some form of a butyl rubber. It was grey and sticky like thick mozzarella cheese in most places, but a few spots had dried more. I removed all the thick chunks, leaving only what's pressed into the hull to deck joint.

It seems from my reading that butyl is a great choice for deck hardware in general. Except for one thing... I'm trying to imagine spreading a nice even thin layer of this stuff over the length of the rails, and then having it squeeze out evenly... This stuff seems pretty thick compared to a thinner caulk-like product. Especially in cooler fall/early spring temps.

Also of note is that I do not plan to clear the old hull-deck joint which is sealed with this stuff. So, whatever I bed the rails in will be up against some butyl in the joint, albeit a thin layer.

Would I be better off using 3M 4200 or 101, or something else? I'm not a big fan of 5200 since someone else may need to re-bed it down the road. Should I stick with butyl? Is it practical for this application? I haven't used new butyl before (nor have I rebedded toe-rails!) so my concern is based on observing what's on there now.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Hi
I'd stick to butyl as it's lasted in all original deck hardware on my CS27 for 32 years. The only issues I have are with the chainplates and other fittings added by previous owners. Butyl tape is easy to lay in place before you bolt the toerails on. Trim what squeezes out with a razor knife.
Brian
Old 10-14-2009

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Butyl tape comes in lots of sizes. I've seen rolls 1/16" thick, about 2" wide. This might work well for you. Check your local RV parts dealer.
Old 10-14-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Check at a home window glass shop, they have rolls of butyl in variuos thickness.
Old 10-14-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I have done this job on my 36(!) year-old boat. I too, had grey goop in various stages of gooey-cracked-n-dry-leaking condition. My first step was to have the toerail powdercoated before rebedding. It really made a difference in the look. I used a polysulphide bedding compound - lifecalk - at the recommendation of a reputable yard. So far so good. The only issue i've found was mine - I moved to quickly to tighten down the toerail before letting the lifecalk set up, and squished too much of it out. Fortunately this was in just one or two spots on the 36 foot run of the rail. 6 years later things are water tight and look great. The calk is still pliable and working and the powder coating looks great except where heavy abrading had worn it down to metal. Still, looks a helluva lot better than the corroding, chalky white pitting that was there prior.

good luck
Old 10-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RV shops will have butyl tape too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-14-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
My first step was to have the toerail powdercoated before rebedding. It really made a difference in the look.
Isn't it pretty tough to find a facility that can handle pieces that long? Also, if you don't mind sharing it, I'm curious what kind of expense that would be. I love the idea of coating those chalky rails... Mine are definitely looking a bit toasted.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 10-15-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The bolts should be tightened when the caulking is put on, not later otherwise you run the risk of breaking the seal you're trying to create if a bolt turns on set caulking. Don't listen to Casey on this - he's wrong.
Brian
Old 10-15-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Use..

Use gray butyl. The factory used a gray flat tape and my boat is 31 years old and still dry. My toe rails are still bone dry at year 30. I would not use anything but butyl in this type of install..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-17-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that Butyl tape has the advantage of a very long working time....unlike some of the other sealants you might use, which start to cure rather quickly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.