Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-14-2009

BrightAyes is on a distinguished road
Winterization- Use of Winshield washer fluid

Winterization, I am considering using windshield washer fluid (antifreeze) in my raw water systems vs the expensive and hard to obtain proprolyene based non-toxic antifreeze that is designed for potable water systems. I am in Poland & am having difficulty finding the Proprolyene stuff while windshield washer antifreeze is readily available (Methenol Based)

Any experiance, advice or cautions would be appreciated.

SV Bright Ayes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Windshield washer fluid is soap that has additives so it doesn't freeze. I believe it is poisonous so I wouldn't recommend it. Drain your system as much as you can and leave the taps open if you can't find the stuff designed for water systems.
Brian
Old 10-14-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Bright Ayes,
Unlike Brian I assume your reference to "raw water" systems is the same as the USA meaning a raw water cooled engine/exhaust. If you also meant your potable drinking water I would agree with Brian and say no. Just use cheap Vodka for that.
As for your raw water cooled engine for me it would be a simple choice between ruining your exhaust system and maybe your engine or possibly killing a few small sea critters - easy choice. The town or factory up the road is probably putting more crap than that in the water every minute Windshield wiper stuff may not be the best but it will probably work. I've had my washers freeze up at below zero but not burst and work fine when warmed up a bit.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-14-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Just use regualr automotive AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAyes View Post
Winterization, I am considering using windshield washer fluid (antifreeze) in my raw water systems vs the expensive and hard to obtain proprolyene based non-toxic antifreeze that is designed for potable water systems. I am in Poland & am having difficulty finding the Proprolyene stuff while windshield washer antifreeze is readily available (Methenol Based)

Any experiance, advice or cautions would be appreciated.

SV Bright Ayes
a. Regular auto AF is no more poisonous to fish that PG. Look up some MSDS sheets on the net to verify this. Remember, what is poisonous to people and what is poisonous to fish is very different.

b. Regular auto AF has NO PLACE in your drinking water systems. This is why most people recomend PG, since people can make mistakes. Make sure you do not. Yes, it is poison.

c. Both are equally biodegradable. Bugs dont know the difference.

d. DO NOT use windshield deicer. It is methanol or ethanol (less often) and can be very harmful to seals. It can also be flamable, depending on the consetration. Do not use it anywhere on the boat. It is also poisonous.

e. The spent used AF is recyclable at the marina or any gas station. EG or PG, but NOT the alchol types.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Back when I wintered in the frozen north, I used cheap vodka to winterize my water tanks. The only downside was that spring commissioning took twice as long and required mixers and ice.