Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Question Fairing external transponder shims

Ok, I've been using up my question cards pretty quickly this week, but try to forgive a guy who's cramming in projects before the snow flies

This time my question is about the shims for the transponders on my hull. It looks like it was made from wood, which doesn't directly concern me. But, it also appears that it wasn't well sealed with epoxy. It's not rotten if I poke it, but it was definitely a little damp. I'd like to leave it in place and improve it rather than starting over.

Here's a picture... There's one on each side (depth, speed).

I'm not happy about the [1] sealing, and [2] slight gap between the hull and the shim. Oh yeah, and the blisters I haven't ground out yet!

My question is... How SHOULD this look? Do I just need to sand it down and coat it with unthickened epoxy, then make a fillet to join it to the hull better? Do I need to glass it to the hull? Should I be concerned about it having screwy water flow that messes with the sensor?

I just haven't seen enough of these things to know what to do, and my bible, "This Old Boat" doesn't have the answer for me

Thanks in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not build up a shim using either fiberglass or thickened epoxy instead???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Why not build up a shim using either fiberglass or thickened epoxy instead???
I was just thinking that it might save me a lot of time if the current configuration wasn't a bad one. Rather than trying to remove and re-create it, I could improve it. But I really don't know if this is a good or bad idea. I don't mind the time if that's what needs to happen.

Building up a whole new one sounds like considerably more work than sealing an existing one but I could be wrong...
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 10-16-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If you remove the old shims in one piece you can use them to mold new ones out of epoxy thickened with colloidal silica. If you cast them in say plaster of paris after waxing them, you have the mold. Wax the mold heavily to allow removal. Attach them to the hull (sand it first) with more thickened epoxy and create a fillet where they join the hull. And the best part is most can be done indoors! You will probably never seal the existing ones very well as there will be water between the hull and shim and they have a high moisture content anyway - epoxy doesn't stick to wet wood.
Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 10-16-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-16-2009

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Here's what I've came up with to solve a similar problem.

DYI Depth Souder Hull Fairing

Everything is epoxied together and has been underwater for quite a while now with no problems

Best regards!

Pedro

Portugal

Old 10-16-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedcab View Post
Here's what I've came up with to solve a similar problem.

DYI Depth Souder Hull Fairing

Everything is epoxied together and has been underwater for quite a while now with no problems

Best regards!

Pedro
That looks pretty similar to mine, so it's good to see my configuration isn't too far off base. Also good to know you have no problems because my speed instrument is completely flaky and I had suspected the fairing blocks might be causing it.

I'm not really sure why they used a block for the speed log since I believe they can just be installed perpendicular to the hull. Seems like a lot of work when it wasn't necessary.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 10-16-2009

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Well, I made mine for the depth sounder transducer because it has a maximum allowable tilt of 18ļ, wich is much less than the angle of my boat's hull.

My speed transducer is mounted directly to one side of the hull but that isn't a perfect solution. The thing is that when sailing upwind in such a way that the transducer stays on the windward side of the boat the paddlewheel stalls due to the underwater turbulence cause by the leeward movement of the boat.

Keep in mind that paddlewheel speed transducers are very sensitive to water turbulence and make sure that there aren't any obstructions "upstream" of it, such as other transducers.

Also, the fairing must be as streamlined as possible because of the previously mentioned reason...

Regards from Portugal!

Portugal

Last edited by pedcab; 10-16-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The best place for the speed transducer on a CS27 is centreline, just inside the V-berth aft wall which is just forward of the keel - the recommendation of most manufacturers. If mounted on one side you will likely get a different readfing on either tack. But you already have this other hole....
Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 10-16-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: correct

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.