Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
What is this and should I be worried? Keel Question

Hello;

I bought a new boat and was able to spend a few hours on board snapping pictures (about 600) to plan out my repair schedule. In my travels I found this.

This is a look from aft looking forward, on the port side I have opened up a bench and found this...

Under the teak sole beside the bench I found this...

The port side, under the bench seems to have a coat of paint on top of it and the section under the sole has nothing on top of it. This is the top of the keel sitting almost in the exact middle of the boat. Aft of the top of the keel is the bilge and forward of these pictures I could not get at.

Why would there be cracks here? The boat has been on the hard for a few years, could it just be temperature changes or perhaps a little water getting in and freezing?

Either way they seem to be cosmetic as with a ruler I found the cracks are barely 3mm deep.

Here is the Keel from outside the boat...

So how do you fix something like this?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
it looks like and "encapsulated" keel and a little weeping down low on the port side just above the bulb. is it cement or iron? looks like cement in the pics. standing water freezing/thawing over the years will break cement like it's plaster.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
it looks like and "encapsulated" keel and a little weeping down low on the port side just above the bulb. is it cement or iron? looks like cement in the pics. standing water freezing/thawing over the years will break cement like it's plaster.
Keel is Iron according to the manufacturer and it is flaking off at the top like it is oxidizing, not crumbling like cement.

How would I test for weeping and how would I fix it?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-16-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I think you hit the nail on the head...Your encapsulated Iron keel is doing what most encapsulated Iron keels do..swell and spall as they rust toward the oxygen rich side. I'm sure you are fine...grind off the cover layers of glass and get down to the dirty work of grinding and vacuuming out and drying out all that rusted iron till you are down to solid metal.
Then treat with a rust converter and then a rust encapsulator..then epoxy back in your structural cloth ( if any) cover layer of mat or whatever to original thickness or better.

If there is no visual indication of cracking/bulging or audible delamination sounding areas when taped with a hammer on the exterior of the hull in the keel area there is no structural concerns IMHO

PS: WoW! 600 pictures..what a maniac..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-16-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Dick Zaal is the designer of that boat (Contest 33). Here is what I have from him an an email back 5 years ago or so:

Quote:
The keel is a fibre glass moulding and can be seen as part of the hull.
The ballast are lumps of lead filled up with small steel particulars and resin.
There are no keel bolts.
I have a drawing of the keel design, but the image is too big to attach. Essentially keel is molded separately and hull is overlaid on it with an overlap.
Old 10-16-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
OH ...By the way ...Congradulations !!

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-16-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Dick Zaal is the designer of that boat (Contest 33). Here is what I have from him an an email back 5 years ago or so:

I have a drawing of the keel design, but the image is too big to attach. Essentially keel is molded separately and hull is overlaid on it with an overlap.
You know I looked for the keel bolts for almost an hour and couldn't find any... I was going to ask where I might have missed them but didn't want to look too silly.

Mark Twain
Old 10-16-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
PS: WoW! 600 pictures..what a maniac..
All the pictures are in JPeg and RAW format. I did it so that I have a detailed record of the entire boat. Since I am in Canada and the boat is 10 hours away for the winter I wanted to have a way to plan out what I wanted to do over the next three visits too get the boat ready for launch. I started with a set below decks before I touched anything, then took out the sole and got pictures of everything. Pictures of all hatches, windows, hardware pieces, multiple pictures of all mechanical systems. Then a whole set on deck, of all the rigging... Then off the boat for a set around the boat at all angles.

I can now plan out what I need to do as the basics to get the boat launched and plan out the cosmetics as well.

Maybe I am just odd.

Robert

Mark Twain
Old 10-16-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Not odd at all. That's a fine way to do it.

You can get lost in that many images. To help, you could also add some video, for when you want to take a quick look at something without searching through all the pictures to find it. Pan the camera as you take the video and it will help "put it all together".

If you took the pictures in a very methodical way (e.g. bow to stern port side, then bow to stern starboad side), then that will also do the trick, IMHO.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.