Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2009

sidmon is on a distinguished road
"I also rue the day that the yard glassed over the bottom of stanchion bases and chain plates- it sounds like you gained access to the underside of the deck on your previous boat- any advice for doing so? I was going to use a dremel multimaster"

When I first encountered the problem, it was in the pre-dremel days. I used a hammer and chisel. I am still psychologically scarred.

At least they were all accessible, except for the jib track undersides which were behind the overhead liner.

ed- I guess this is what you are having issues with? I just cut away ythe liner where needed up inside those cabinets, and then glasses the raw edges.

Cussed the whole time.

Getting to the chainplates was the worst. They were completely glassed in inside the cabinets. My concern there was with crevice corrosion. Turned out they were ok, but it was a real ordeal getting to them.

Last edited by sidmon; 10-18-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2009

Oh, and krozet, that interior wood is African mahogany ply. Seriously Good stuff. And the sole is solid lumber...Some kind of teak as I remember.
Old 10-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
My boat is on the hard and has been for 5 years. Maybe I will just drill exploitation holes to check for moisture. If I find none then I can glass over the holes when I do the deck. I have done some translating on the dutch Contest sites and cant find an issue with chain plates. Besides, I wouldn't know where to go to do an xray test anyway... If I did pull them I would more than likely replace them.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie5961 View Post
The possibility of crevice corrosion is my motivation for getting in there, as well. I know that each case is different, but do these particular chain plates have a reputation for needing to be pulled? It's frustrating that the owner's group is in Dutch, it is difficult to find common maintenance problems and trends. A lot is lost in translation.
Both of mine were leaking at that deck bases, so thats why I had to get into them. Good news was there was no evidence of crevice corrosion once I dug into the lumps of fiberglass surrounding them. I just rebolted them back without recovering them again. Just thru bolted them to other side of the fiberglass they had been encased in.
Old 10-18-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You know what they say - it's never too late to learn a second language.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Options : Crazing and POOR Maintenance-holland.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I always follow these major fix tales avidly--I'm already sucked into yours, Krozet. And I am of course always rooting for the go for it fixer person who plans to take on a project boat, so I'm rooting for you--I think everyone here is rooting for you.

But the "naysayers" like cardiacpaul speak from experience and offer up what they know in the interest of reality--which is good and lucky for all of us. Personally, I always carry a good supply of fuel to the fire of a new project, but I rely on the wise ones to hose it down now and then.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-19-2009

dnclaws is on a distinguished road
Non skid options

I have used Interdeck and Durabak 18 on my Santana 3030. The Interdeck chips when the spin pole hits the foredeck and it is not aggressive enough when wet. I ended up using it as a primer to fill in my old rolled on gelcoat using a plastic spreader to fill all the low spots. I rolled on gray Durabak winter of 08. One week after I applied the Durabak a bird eating some kind of purple berries laid a machine gun like series of droppings all over it. After a year it has not come out. It holds dirt like a magnet. It is also pealing in places. To bad. I liked the texture, was aggressive on the foredeck, and did not chip. My neighbor put some Kiwi Grip on his Santa Cruz 40. Looks the same after 2 years. The Durabak scraping up easily with an old chisel. If it comes up this easily I don't want it. Kiwi Grip this winter.
Old 11-19-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Noticed most of the posts are a month old, but wanted to chime in with those offering encouragement. My deck was not quite as bad as the pix you had, but it was close. FWIW, I sanded the existing paint till it mostly blended, and repainted with a one-part rubber coating sold by Eco Safety Products in Phoenix. For the nonskid, they have a rubber crumb filled coating. I used that, and the 'plain' for the coachhouse and non nonskid areas. This stuff has a very large amount of 'give', I'm hoping the gelcoat crazing and cracks will not be able to pass through this new layer. An added benefit is a semigloss finish (easy on the eyes). So far so good. I like the idea of a rubber membrane covering the whole topside. Everyone walking by the dock during the process had the same basic questions: will it last? UV resistant? Time will tell... Life is an experiment, right? My 40 year old boat sure looks great with a deck all the same color! I gave them a color chip of the Interlux I had painted the hull with, and they matched the color. Anyways, those of us with limited pocket change and old boats join in wishing you well!