Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
funky winches (not wenches) and thankyou

First off, thanks in advance for the replies.... the sailing community gives me faith in humanity (lol). I recently bought an older boat ('72 Grampian 30') that has barient winches back by the wheel near the cockpit.... looks rigged for single handed cruising... but it also has two strange brown winches that I dont even see a make on set a bit fore. Im guessing they are for the spinnaker rig? they have no place for a handle and seem to be made of some synthetic....

anyone seen these or this type of set up? they have odd opposing slots that may need a special tool to crank? some homemade custom job (lol)?

thanks again
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2009

danr620 is on a distinguished road
Smile winches

Mick,

If they seem like phonolic or something, they may just be for looping the line around to give you mechanical advantage. They rachete only one way. My old Clipper Marine has this type for the Jib.

Dan
Old 10-21-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These are probably old resin-kind of winches that were meant to act as friction brakes only rather than provide cranking power. The same material can be found in older padeyes, turning blocks and early cam cleats.

If they have slots in the top (or bottom) then they may accomodate a flat handle, unlike the typical 8 pointed winch handles popular nowadays. In that case you can crank on some trim. Those winches are also often found made of bronze.

If you plan to fly a spinnaker it would probably be worthwhile to cruise Craigslist and replace them with newer more efficient winches.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-21-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If they do not take a handle they are called snubber winches. They are still available and are usually only seen on small boats. If they have a horizontal slot on opposing sides they are designed for a flat handle for cranking. The material if a dirty reddish brown color is phenolic. I've only seen it on British gear. It's made by combining linen cloth and a resin under heat and pressure. It's also used for cam cleats and block cheeks. Some of the deck gear on my current boat used it. In 1972 when I owned a 1967 Westerly twin keel it was used for almost everything except the sheet winches which were bronze. It's very durable and would probably outlast the boat it's attached to.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
funky winches (not wenches) and thankyou-phenolic.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The material if a dirty reddish brown color is phenolic. I've only seen it on British gear. It's made by combining linen cloth and a resin under heat and pressure. It's also used for cam cleats and block cheeks.
Ooh, I think I have a cam cleat made of this stuff! I was always wondering what the material was.
Old 10-21-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The fibre product you are talking about used to marketed as Tufnol and was popular for making deck fittings many years ago.

The slots are definitely for a flat-bladed winch handle and IIRC there used to be a small roll pin in the blade limiting the penetration of the blade into the slot to prevent it going through.

I have seen these also fitted as halyard winches using the same flat-bladed handle but with a little horned cleat on top of the winch to act as a self tailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-21-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Tufnol fittings do not outlast the boat. I have a '68 Islander Bahama, and the original "Mariner" Genoa sheet blocks are made of the stuff. They are disintegrating. I have seen tufnol winch drums, it seems that it would be an alright material when used for that. Your boat's original deck plan pictures 2 winches, so I figure one is for the headsail and one is for the spin.
Old 10-21-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Tufnol was the name that I couldn't remember. But phenolic is the product. Tufnol ia a brand name from the UK. Every product they make is Tufnol something or other. Even their epoxy and glass laminates are called Tufnol. Sort of a British McMaster Carr.
Brian
Tufnol Composites | Tufnol Laminates | Laminated Plastics | Fabric Laminates | Industrial Laminates