SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cannabalize a boat--what should I grab? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/59260-cannabalize-boat-what-should-i-grab.html)

QuickMick 10-26-2009 10:40 AM

Cannabalize a boat--what should I grab?

The Marina has two 'hurricane' boats they have decided to scrap. One is a Catalina 27 and the other is a Hunter 27-30. I have been given permission to take anything I want except the winches. I have already grabbed a couple of
Schaefer Single Lever Cam Cleats, and the Ronstan/Harken pulleys. My boad is a '72, so I am grabbing this stuff for possible upgrades and just to have replacements around.

Is there anything I should make sure to scavange? Anything maybe not readily apparent to the eye that is worth looking at taking?

thanks much,
Quinn

jinjyr 10-26-2009 10:43 AM

Running rigging...those lines aint cheap

Michael K 10-26-2009 10:57 AM

It depends on how aggressive a scavenger you are. The Catalina may have a pretty nice water tank in it but it will take a bit of effort to remove. The galley fittings could be useful too. Then there are the stanchions, the jib tracks, the ........ you get the idea.

QuickMick 10-26-2009 11:13 AM

I am also thinking of taking the portlights, and cutting to size to replace mine, is this possible?

mike dryver 10-26-2009 11:40 AM

certainly is just check dimension on old for old holes and copy process for up grades

fpr 10-26-2009 11:49 AM

How much time do you have??

How much time and storage do you have??

If I had the time I'd come down there and strip everything.....

I have rebuilt many boats and would love to have a source of used parts and equipment.....

Parting out boats was our business in FL for many years.
The total sale price of the parts was far above the initial cost of the 'hulk'.

We sold the stuff on "E-Bay", "CraigsList" or bartered it for things we needed.

We used the UPS store to ship things.
They will collect my price and the packing & shipping, from the buyer and pay me for the parts.....easy...

Get a hold of these items:
~ powered screw drivers,
~ power nut drivers,
~ Saws-alls,
~ PB-Blaster
~ a couple of friends,
~ a six pack.... carefull....getting silly = getting hurt !!:eek:
~ a weekend

And you could have a good sized inventory of boat parts.....

fred

mccary 10-26-2009 11:51 AM

If you can, get a chain saw and get the keel, lead is worth $$ in a scrap yard.

scottyt 10-26-2009 01:00 PM

okay if its a hunter ( older ie early 80's ) with the gray ( brand not color ) ports i would love 2 of the lenses. if the hatches are in good shape they are also worth some money.

nereussailor 10-26-2009 01:24 PM

You can sell just about anything on ebay or craigslist grab everything you can
I'd be interested in the stanchions if they're in good shape

Dave

Cat27Spokane 11-05-2009 04:11 PM

Have you done this yet? I am looking for a replacement for the fuel locker (aft locker in the cockpit). The cover of mine is cracked. I would be very interested in whether you could get one off the Catalina 27. I would be willing to buy it for a reasonable price and pay to have it shipped.

Peek down below and see whether the deck hardware has backing plates. Early Catalina 27s did not have backing plates and many retrofit them. If you grabbed those, you would likely have a ready market for them.

I might be interested in a tiller if there is a nice one there.

If you have a chance call me. I would love to talk about it.

thanks

Sean
(5o9) 599- Three two-88