Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Question Oh Joy refit 11/01/09, with questions about iron sickness..

Here are a few of the culprits, some of who's purpose I dont know:

In the stem post, there's this rusted bolt:

What it does, I have no clue. The head fell off as I was digging wood powder out of the slot to expose it. Apparently it had a white oak block in the slot once upon a time. Here's the head:

Here's the inside as near as I can tell. There's a hunk of wood in that steel beam. What it's purpose is, I don't know. It runs about 5' back from the stem.

Here are some bolts that are toast in the bow:

What are those blocks called? I know they're not butt blocks...

Also, here are some deck beam ends with rusted bolts. Some of these exhibit softness in the ends but most don't. Should I replace them all or just the soft ones? All of these bolts are slated for replacement if needed. Should they come out or just be treated and sealed?

Finally, I've cleaned up some of the rib beds aft in preparation for replacing the ribs.

Any suggestions on what ya see are appreciated...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
What I see is a lot of work. Hat's off to you... and I worked in a wooden boat repair yard!

IMO if they were there originally, they they should be replaced. All of them; if one failed, then the rest are suspect. But to be honest, Dude you are probably the most knowledgeable wooden boat man on SailNet right now (there was someone who worked at a yard in MD, and was very knowledgeable but I can't recall who it was).
Old 11-01-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
hard to tell in the pics Charlie.. was the bolt holding the inner stem to the outer? (stern post) You could save many of the timbers by using scarf joints, splines, or "sistering" Also don't forget "git rot" or other penertrating epoxy. I'd try and remove any and all iron from the boat. I know that bronze fastenings are very $$ and SS is not always the best for imbedded fastenings. Also there are methods of injecting epoxy. Were there any trunnels on this boat? I personally love that way of fastening in really old boats.
As always.... GOOD LUCK!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Knutson Shipbuilding

Ask them maybe or find a local shipwright to have a look and give advice.
Old 11-01-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Charlie,
If you don't replace them all, how difficult is it going to be to get in and replace them one by one once you have Oh Joy complete and back in the water ?
Wouldn't you figure that it's going to be a damn sight easier in the long run to simply do the whole lot now ?
Cheers mate
Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-01-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
hard to tell in the pics Charlie.. was the bolt holding the inner stem to the outer? (stern post) You could save many of the timbers by using scarf joints, splines, or "sistering" Also don't forget "git rot" or other penertrating epoxy. I'd try and remove any and all iron from the boat. I know that bronze fastenings are very $$ and SS is not always the best for imbedded fastenings. Also there are methods of injecting epoxy. Were there any trunnels on this boat? I personally love that way of fastening in really old boats.
As always.... GOOD LUCK!
I'm not sure what it's holding. All of the major structural members are attached elsewhere. No trunnels on her. She was C-flexed so she has a very solid and sound outer glass hull which I hate to compromise. I'd have to cut through the C-Flex to get to some of these bolts.

Old 11-01-2009
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Charlie,
If you don't replace them all, how difficult is it going to be to get in and replace them one by one once you have Oh Joy complete and back in the water ?
Wouldn't you figure that it's going to be a damn sight easier in the long run to simply do the whole lot now ?
Cheers mate
Andrew

Impossible to do it later. Getting them all out is gonna take cutting into the C-Flex. Something I'm loathe to do unless absolutely necessary.