SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winterizing propeller shaft seal

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
I am trying to winterize my boat, but every checklist I could find including my boat manual doesn't say anything about propeller shaft seal. It is lubricated with water and I presume have to be winterized somehow. Can somebody tell please me how to do this. There is a hose connecting seacock and the seal. Thank you. Paul.

#3 ·
Photos would help, especially when you don't know what the piece of equipment is called or who makes it. It would also help if you said what kind of boat it was...

Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

#5 ·
If it's a PSS there is nothing to do!
The carbon seal is a loose fit on the shaft so any water will self drain.
Only concern may be the water supply hose.
Make sure there is no water left in the hose, especially if it has a low spot.
sam :)

#6 ·
My understanding is that there is no need for water supply for cooling on a sailboat with a PSS shaft seal. It's only required on higher horsepower power boats.
The only hose attached to a sailboat PSS shaft seal is an air supply tube to prevent air lock in the bellows. That tube goes upwards above the water line, not down to a seacock.

#7 ·
From the manual:
STUFFING BOX
The stuffing box is a rubber seal around the prop shaft, which allows the shaft to exit the hull and keep water out. Water is forced into the stuffing box via a thru hull and vent tube for lubrication. Once a year or every 200-engine hours grease the seal at "D" with 1cm3 of grease. The seal should be replaced every 500 engine hours or every 5 years. See the manufacturer’s directions for more details.

#10 ·
pkats,

First where are you located? Second are you staying in the water or hauling for the winter. There are many Beneteaus here in Toronto that are hauled for the winter. AFAIK they don't do anything to the shaft seal. The water drains out. When you launch in the spring make sure you "burp" the seal to get the air out of it. If you don't it will heat up and fail. Also don't you just love having to change this seal out every 500 hours???

#12 ·
We have a traditional stuffing box on our boat and I have never worried about winterizing the cutlass bearing (exit point of prop shaft on hull). As others have said, water gets in and acts as a lubricant when in the water. Once the boat is pulled out most of the water drains out due to gravity leaving only a small amount as our shaft is pitched down and aft. Air can get in around the small interstices of the cutlass bearing and the shaft and there is plenty of room for ice to expand (we are probably due for a new cutlass bearing).
If you have the PSS dripless shaft gizmo you might be able to sneak a little pink RV anti-freeze in there. Most people seem to have more pressing winterization issues to deal with as there are many, but this is not a big one IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.