Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2009

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
keel bolts

I currently have my C@C24 on the hard using jack stands. I also have loose keel bolts as by looking at the keel line crack. Does using stands put stress on the keel and is a cradle better as I'm looking to buy either ones in the spring. Also, does anyone know the torgue for tightening the bolts. Is there a correct way of tightening the double nuts on the bolts. They are 1-1/8 bolts. Thanks, ahab211
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Don't think there's much difference between a properly used set of jackstands or an equally proper cradle... off season, unless the cradle comes apart the stands will be easier to store.

The top nut is just a locking nut for the one below. After the lower nut is properly tightened.. the top nut should be firmly snugged up against the first.

Use caution when tightening the keelbolts - try to make sure the hull is properly supported relative to the keel or you might to more harm than good.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-02-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
Faster has good advice above.

Regarding the torque spec, you can find standardized torque specs on line for different size bolts and different grades. Be careful though because your bolts probably have been significantly weakened over the years and you really don't want to snap one off.
Old 11-02-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Do you have any professional advice that you bolts are lose, or is it just the presence of a hairline crach at the top of the keel? I'll bet you are looking at the typical condition termed the "C&C smile", whicvh most owners simplly clear and refill every year. I'd be more careful about torgueing the bolts without expert opinion than just leaving well-enought alone. if ypou take this discussion to the C&C newsgroup you are likely to get more current and knowledgeable advice about the smile and its correction (or not).
Old 11-02-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
First, how did you determine that the bolts were loose? If it's just because of the crack, then the bolts are most likely tight. The torque should be checked either way.

Many years working on cars has taught me to start looking hard at any bolt that loses torque. If a bolt loses torque, something has changed. The question is, what? On a set of keel bolts, there are only a few logical reasons.

Bolt stretch. Did the bolts stretch, and if so why? On a bolt that size, the only way they could stretch is if they are corroded most of the way through.

Bolts pulling out of the keel. Again, Why? This is a very unlikely event, but one to consider if no other cause is found.

Keel stub problems. If the keel stub is delaminating, or has voids in it due to osmosis or poor layup, the bolts may be loose due to compression of the stub at the bolts. The picture below is due to keel stub problems, although I'm not good enough with fiberglass layup problem diagnosis to say exactly what the problem was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 11-02-2009

Thanks for te input. I'll check out the C@C website. I'm taking the advise to tighten the bolts from experienced sailors who have owned a C@C24 and bigger C@C's. I'll purchase a wrench today and report on what I find. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2009

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
Torque

The C&C Forum
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
Says 3/4" bolts (1 1/8" socket) should be 250 foot-pounds.
Ask this question on their forum.
Lots of knowledge and helpful lot.
May save you some grief in the long run!
sam :-)
Old 11-03-2009

thanks for the info . I tightened them today and they were loose especially the front bolt. i have bigger problems then that as the front bolt is off center in the bilge and the keel is also off center at the front. I don't think there is a quick fix for this and I might sail it as is as the only alternative is pull of the keel and replace the front bolt. Any other ideas? thanks ahab211 Also was the weight on the keel using jacks the marina provided adding to the loose bolt problem?
Old 11-03-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
ahab
The only way the front bolt could be off centre is because of keel stub problems. If something was hit it would try to drive the keel's aft end into the hull. The total number of bolts would limit its movement. If it's off centre I would look at the keel stub - is it wood cored as some are? If it's solid glass there is not much chance of the keel moving off centre. I think that replacing the front bolt will not be the solution by itself. You have to find out the cause of the problem to find the right solution.
Brian
Old 11-03-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab211 View Post
.... i have bigger problems then that as the front bolt is off center in the bilge and the keel is also off center at the front. ...?
The keel mounts to a solid glass stub formed in the bottom of the hull. Does the keel fit properly on the stub, i.e. uniformly and smoothly? If so, it is hard to see how it could be off center...

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-03-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.