SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   A Furler? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/59676-furler.html)

jetdrvr393 11-09-2009 09:03 PM

A Furler?

I just bought my first boat a few months ago, a 1979 S2 7.3. I am thinking of adding a furler. I am wondering if you guys think it is worth it? I plan to keep the boat 2-3 years and then move up to something larger but I would love the convenience now. If I spend the money on it will it increase the resale value of the boat by any amount or is it just money spent? Overall the boat is in very good condition for its age.

Thanks

Joe

sailingdog 11-09-2009 10:00 PM

It is very unlikely that buying a furler for your boat will have much of an impact on the selling price in 2-3 years.

The main reason to buy a furler is for your convenience, especially if the boat is in need of a new headsail, since you can get it made specifically for the roller furling unit. Of the furling units out there, I would recommend Harken and Furlex as making excellent units. Profurl and Facnor are also quite good. I'm not a big fan of the CDI furlers.

JohnRPollard 11-10-2009 08:13 AM

I would recommend that you go for it. It sounds like you will enjoy having it, and maybe even get more use out of the boat given the added convenience.

It may or may not increase your resale value noticeably, but it will certainly be a plus if someone is comparing one boat with and one without a furler. And for some buyers the absence of a furler is a non-starter.

Like Sailingdog mentioned, you'll either need to get a new headsail or modify an existing one to work with the furler. This is where a consult with a reputable sailmaker might be worthwhile -- they can sometimes offer a package deal on the hardware and sails.

I would think the combination of a new headsail and furling unit would be a plus when it comes to resale.

CaptKermie 11-10-2009 03:40 PM

I once had a similar dilema, should I get a roller furler. I sailed with hank-ons for 5 years before I got a furler and when I did I had both headsails converted to #6 luff for the furler since they still had plenty of years use left in them. Would I do it again with today's hindsight? Nope! Yes, I suppose it is pretty cool to have a furler, certainly is convenient. If I had a bigger boat it would be more convenient, but I am still questioning for my 26' boat wether or not it is a neccessity or just a nice to have. They cost a few boat bucks for a good one and you will likely install it yourself (it is a pain) to save money but I don't think it will be a deal breaker upon selling the boat nor will it add value, it is just a convenience single handers like to have. If you fully intend to sell the boat I would forgo the furler and save the money for your next boat. I got a furler because I knew I would be keeping my boat for years to come so it was mainly just for me. Even though everyone told me a furler was the way to go and I believed them, after all was said and done and I had a years use of it I still think I could have spent the money on something better than a furler.
I also am not a big fan if CDI, I bought a Schaefer Snapfurl CF700, nice unit, but pricey.

junkmeister 11-10-2009 03:52 PM

Two sailing seasons ago I went through the same thing. Since most of my sailing is single handed I wanted the convenience as well as safety when the weather gets rough. I bought a furlex furler and a new North Sails 150% headsail. It has worked excellent with no problems in two seasons. At the same time I bought new Harken self tailing Jib sheet winches. With all these upgrades my boat is a pleasure to sail. If the wind is up and I'm feeling lazy I won't even bother with the main sail because my boat will sail at hull speed very well just on the Jenny. Another factor on the plus side for me was that I had intended to keep this boat. Now that I spent all this money I have to keep the boat because I'd never get the money back if I were to sell.

Larry

Waltthesalt 11-10-2009 06:49 PM

Depends a lot on the sailing that you do. Furlers are a great convenience for what 80% of what boats do. I've been sailing all my life and use hank-ons because I want to change jibs for different conditions. Furlers may have gotten better but I've found them sub-optimal when partially rolled out in strong winds. A furler won't work as a storm jib. You're probably not going out intentionally in winds over 25 kts.

jetdrvr393 11-10-2009 08:56 PM

Thanks all, I got new sails with the boat, a jib and a genoa that has never been used, they were made by sobstad, I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what it will cost to have the genoa modified to use with the furling unit. I was thinking of going with the schaffer cf700, Defender has it for $999, does it come with everything I need or will I need several hundred dollars of other stuff?