Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
More holes in my boat?

Weeell.... the transom has a ton of unused space on either side of the rudder post, and it's easily 18" from the cockpit stern to the transom inside. I think (there for I will?) 2 hatches with hinged doors with or as propane lockers or, just storage for all kinds of "stuff". I also want to install another coaming box, a port for the "coffin bunk" and some round access hatches in the cabin sole (to access the dead or rotting whatevers down there) and to store more "stuff" This is the one thing about older boats.. not enough access to the deep dark areas. Will I do all this? Don't know!

Last year, after agonizing over installing speakers in the cockpit finally we did that! Did you know the whole aft section of the boat works like a sub woofer now?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Denise
If you use it for propane make sure it is sealed from the rest of the boat and drained overboard. Has to have top access only.
Brian
Old 11-10-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Yes, I'm aware of that requirement. On the other hand Brian.... a boat with a propane tank strapped to the stern rail has a certain kind of charm....

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2009
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
....a boat with a propane tank strapped to the stern rail has a certain kind of charm....
Good to know, so that's why I keep mine on the stern rail
Old 11-10-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Denise,
A couple of things to think about. There is a very good chance that the area on either side of the rudder post is structural. In other words it may very well be carrying the rudder post loads, which can be substantial. So cutting big holes could potentially cause some big problems.

Do you have a horseshoe bouy on the stern rail? On my old Hunter 27 I found that a 10 lb aluminum propane tank strapped to a vertical stanchion, fit really well under the horseshoe bouy with a few modifications to the brackets. This effectively hid the cylinder and protected the regulator from damage too.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 11-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to go with an externally mounted tank, I would HIGHLY recommend you look at the composite LPG tanks...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

Me carry a tank on the stern rail??? I'm mortified that you gentlemen would suggest such a thing! (ok, well I only put it there when on the hook, if truth be told) LOL
Gary I am quite sure the rudder post structure is separate from the cockpit but I will be very sure of things before I start the hole cutting rampage.

my current "project"!
Old 11-11-2009

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
I always get sick at the idea of cutting [hacking away]on my boat.just my thoughts
Old 11-11-2009

Dobreski is on a distinguished road
I'd avoid it unless absolutely necessary
Old 11-11-2009

jjns is on a distinguished road
Denise
I too was tempted by the seemingly endless wasted space back there. Then I considered what all that stuff might weigh, perched in a place that was obviously not designed to have weight located there, the complication it would add to servicing the water heater and a bunch of other stuff, and I pretty much talked myself out of the idea.
Just a thought.

On the other hand we do have 2 nice self draining "drink coolers" underneath the stern seat. As they are not insulated, we store our 1lb propane cans in there. I have often wished they were a little deeper but again when looking at the bottom side, it would make accessing anything on the transom impossible.