Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Just bought one on eBay, Chef. I really hate my current method. Thanks (I hope!) for the recommendation.
Old 02-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, the Moeller (or a copy) is a gem. All the cranking and pumping and whatever else besides vacuum cans is fruitless. Use a vacuum system once and you'll add it to the "pry from my cold dead fingers" list. My only complaint is that the vaccum hose can spring around and make an oily mess, so we bag it in a plastic shopping bag with paper towels, and then store the whole pump in another thicker bag.
Sure does take the "work" out of the job though!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I'm looking forward to getting the Moeller, now that I've ordered it. I rarely make impuse purchases, but this was one of them. I've never liked the slow drip-drip of draining the oil from the oil pan tube. I was never sure that I got all the old stuff out.

I made the eBay purchase while the Admiral was asleep on the couch next to me, and I immediately went into "Rationalization Mode". So here's what I came up with - Since I do my own auto oil changes, the Moeller will be of use on cars too. Especially on my 350Z which has a pan under the entire engine compartment that must be removed to access the oil pan and filter. I don't have a lift and have used the dealership since I bought the car last April.

Thanks Sailnet - another great idea.
Old 02-21-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
Ive used the pella suction pump for years with Rotella-T oil, just run the engine a little to warm up the oil to reduce the viscosity before you pump...
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 02-21-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sabreman-
In theory, pulling the drain plug (on your car) is a better way to change oil, as any sludge or grunge in the oil will be on the very bottom of the pan and will come out when you pull the drain plug. A vacuum hose will never get that "syrup" off the pan bottom the same way.
On my car, the road pan doesn't cover the oil pan, that would also interfer with cooling it. Perhaps a neat 2" hole in your road pan would help?
But you're never going to regret the Moeller on the boat!
Old 02-21-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
The only thing I have to add to the above is to be sure no one is present at your marina when you are disposing of the oil. The oil tends to float on top of the water, forming a huge slick. The hull of your boat can become fouled, so it's always best to go to the end the dock and dump it out next to someone elses boat. This way your hull will protected and it will look like they are the ones dumping oil instead of you. I should also add that oil is flamable, even when it's floating on water in a marina. If it catches on fire, the boats in the marina could burn. While this normally isn't that big a deal, the fire could spread to your boat if, say, the slick happens to drift in your direction. So be careful, always make sure no one is around, and take the utmost care when dumping oil overboard at your marina.
Old 02-21-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
To that end, the plastic hand pump sold at West Marine and few other choice retailers can only be qualified as total crap. In fact, until I bought a decent brass pump I was of the same opinion as you.
Ditto - our brass hand pump doesn't leak a drop and our plastic one was a mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
Old 02-22-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
When changing the oil filter I tape a large heavy duty garbage bag to the side of the engine around the filter.

Then when working inside the bag spills are contained.

I also use latex gloves and change them when dirty. $4 per 100 on offer from Harbour Freight!

Ex mechanic

Last edited by TQA; 02-22-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Smile re oil change

I also found if to take a large ziplock bag around the filter, you will catch most of the oil, a white 2x2 absorbent in the bilge is also a must. To remove Oil you can get a pump system from Beta Marine, I will try to put up a picture.....Red
Old 04-15-2010

Dumah is on a distinguished road
I own a Mermaid Mariner (6 cyl, 135 HP) and it came complete with a "sump pump". I have modified to add an electric pump witch allows me to not only change the oil with 12 volts, but also gives me a "prelube" before starting. This is accomplished by connecting an old furnace burner pump to a 12 volt blower motor and adding a "t" and two ball valves to the discharge side. One side of the "t" goes into the oil gallery, while the other line is for oil change purpose only.