Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-15-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
FWIW, sounds like the OP was using a Fram filter, probably not a good idea in a marine diesel unless the manual specifies such a filter, which I would doubt. You should only use filters listed in the manual, which of course are often those sold by the manufacturer at exorbitant prices. The automotive filter may fit, but they are not equivalent components. (I wonder what the warrantee says on this issue...)
Old 04-15-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
An alternative to the hand pumped vacuum collector is a 5-gallon plastic paint pail with two plastic fittings in the lid, one sized for a hose to match the dip-stick tube or if one has a built-in sump pump as does our Perkins 4-108, the nozzel on the pump and the second sized for the hose from a small shop vac. Ideally, the fitting connected to the engine should have a spout on the inside of the lid of the pail that extends a foot or so into the pail but I'm not certain that's entirely necessary. With this arrangement, one can warm the engine for a moment or two, insert the drain hose in the dip-stick tube or connect it up to the sump-pump nozzel and in two minutes or less suction out the used oil which is nicely confined to the 5-gallon pail. In our case, once the pick-up doesn't seem to be pulling any more oil, I usually open the drain plug on the front bottom of the pan and insert the intak nozzel there, moving it around by hand, which seems to pull another 1/2 quart or so, and any sludge, from the very bottom of the pan.

The paint pail cost me $5.00+/- from a local painting supply shop:

The fittings were off-the-shelf PVC fittings from Home Depot.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Sailhog has an excellent idea. If I may add you can invest in some good (not Russian POS) NVG's so at night you can recon again (what you looked at in the day) places to dump your oil. Maybe the boat that has a noisy dog or loud kids.....
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I changed my oil the other day. There is a large drip pan under my engine. I just drained the oil into the pan, then pumped it out with a brass oil pump. They draw well without that little skinny tube. I store the now messy pump in an auto oil pan in the back of the engine compartment.